SAS kit finally available?

albino

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet so I thought I would post it... it looks like a SAS kit for the r50 is finally available!

http://staangsfab.com/news/

I stumbled across this website while looking at the SAS pictures for new4x4r's r50, which looks amazing by the way. Maybe if I eat ramen for the next three years I will be able to afford this kit...hmmm

Yeah but they want almost 5k with shipping to the us from canada. You can homebrew a sas for ALOT less than that

How dare you bash a company that wants to make something for a R50 ???? Look around and parts are expensive and this is a tested kit that uses factory holes for the crossmember. Already figured out . It really isn't 5 grand either. I challenge you to make something like this on your own and come up cheaper!!! With comparible links and parts.

I love my r50 but it would be absurd to spend 5k on an SAS kit. As mentioned you can buy a variety of ready to wheel, proven solid axle rigs for that amount.

Glad to see a company developing parts for our trucks, but I question the sanity of anyone that buys that kit for that amount or any amount close to that.

How much do you think trail rigs cost ??? Solid axle conversions are very common. as soon as you add

Axle upgrades(almost all Jeep do this )$$$$$$

Lockers= $500-$1000

35-40" tires= $1200-$3000

Exoskeleton or a cage ? =?$1000's

Sliders and skids=?$500- $1000

winch=$400-$1500

air source=$500

tow straps tree savers d rings=$$$

Bumpers =???

Trailer =$1000-$4000

I guess everyone is different and if you have a dedicated trail rig and all you ride with are Jeeps you want a capable rig. Some people have 500 horsepower and go the speed limit all the time and some want to open that bitch up and don't care if they get a ticket!!!!

Edited by PaMountianbiker

I love my r50 but it would be absurd to spend 5k on an SAS kit. As mentioned you can buy a variety of ready to wheel, proven solid axle rigs for that amount.

Glad to see a company developing parts for our trucks, but I question the sanity of anyone that buys that kit for that amount or any amount close to that.

I think this thread is kind of funny. When I was debating whether or not to buy a 2" coil spring lift ALL of my off-road friends recommended selling the Pathy and getting a better supported base rig (one that is truck based and/or dual solid axles and actually has choices in aftermarket vendors). I initially agreed with my friends/father-in-law and held off for a few months pricing other rigs. Eventually, I decided I really liked my R50 and wanted to see how it could do off-road with a little modification.

Then, after 3 years of moderate trails, and getting frustrated watching guys with 4Runners (3" suspension lifts and 1.5" body lifts, run 33" tires) clearing all kinds of obstacles, I decided to look at other mod's or sell my beast and start anew. Well, one 4" SFD and 33's later, I'm content once again.

Now, after hitting several 7 rated trails and one rated 8 obstacle, I started wondering just how far an R50 could be taken around the Rockies and Moab. I'm currently NOT considering a SAS, but I refuse to ever say again that further modification is out of the question. Every time I say that I end up with a new mod (much crazier than the last).

So yes, my sanity can definitely be put in to question already...

Just my :my2cents:

Edited by Rick13

I started wondering just how far an R50 could be taken around the Rockies and Moab.

Speaking from personal experience, Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trails in Moab are doable in an R50 with just an AC 2" lift, sliders, a rear ARB locker, 32" BFG AT's, and no sway bars. Numerous trails in around Ouray, CO are also doable so equipped.

How much could you really homebrew a sas for? If you were to make all the stuff they include in their kit, to their specs, what would it cost? I plan to sas my r50 when I can afford it, but I know it'll be crazy expensive, so I like the idea of saving a bit wherever possible. I sure hope it would end up ALOT cheaper than this, but unfortunately I don't have any of the tools or the skills required to fab anything, so this would most likely be the only option for someone like me. I'd rather spend 5 grand on a patrol and settle with a sfd for my r50, just my opinion tho...

Personnaly, I would like to know who has broken so many parts on his r50 that it requires a SAS ?? really... who offroads that hard with his r50 enough to break the ifs (that is stock by the way) and that would not even try to maybe do better parts for the ifs ? No sure I get what is the big hype about this.. :scratchhead:

Man, my Pathy has been nick-named by my wheeling friends as "La Blanca VaJayJay". It breaks down every time I go wheeling. I refuse to call her a "car50" in lieu of a "truck". However, I seem to be the only "car" climbing the rocks and hitting the mud holes to which I have gathered quite a "fan base". :takebow:

Man, my Pathy has been nick-named by my wheeling friends as "La Blanca VaJayJay". It breaks down every time I go wheeling. I refuse to call her a "car50" in lieu of a "truck". However, I seem to be the only "car" climbing the rocks and hitting the mud holes to which I have gathered quite a "fan base". :takebow:

I understand, but what I mean is do you actually break the front differential ? the half-shafts ? you break the steering rack ? I mean, couldn't we try to better the stock part we have before thinking of a 5k sas ?

I break my junk all the time.. so much that nobody will even go wheelin with me unless I trailer my Pathy so I have a way home. It's always front end parts. Solid axles just perform better offroad.IMO If I could get the front to perform like the back this CaR50 would be awsome!!!!

Edited by PaMountianbiker

Before you sas though, I would be curious to see if you would break that much in front if you were locked.... because on my side I do have some good climbs and never broke anything yet... it's worth a try.. no? either the costy way (arb), or cheap way (welded spider gears with manual hubs) ??

Wow, I can literally respond to all of these posts... *Deep breath*

Staangsfab's kit is worth EVERY PENNY!!! First off, its LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! Secondly, the maintenance parts available for all the front end parts are DIRT CHEAP, AVAILABLE and tough as nails. And finally, the performance improvement is pretty much indescribable. Its a totally different truck... with-out having to go to a vehicle that comes with a solid axle from the factory. To buy something that comes with a solid axle for 5K would put you back to square one (as far as modifications go) So you'll spend another 4-5 on getting your POS Jeep up to where your SAS'd R50 would be with the StaangsFab kit. If you can come up with this kit on your own, this well made, with a warranty, go ahead. I promise, YOU can't.

As for how much can you break your IFS to drive you to the SAS? In 8 months I did 4 sets of wheel bearings (NEW SPINDLES EACH TIME because the 35's vaporized the bearings in minutes), Did my inner and outer tie rods 3 times in a year, the struts literally do nothing after a couple "top-outs" and need to be replaced. All of this stuff takes out waaaay too much of my time/money. All of this stuff is eliminated by the Over-engineered parts in the SAS components. If you don't get the hype, come out wheeling with me and see if your IFS can get you over and through the things I can now crawl over with ease.

I love my Nissan, I've loved it as it grew from the 2" lift to what it is now. I feel much better knowing that I don't have to settle for a Jeep that is gonna land me back in the shop every time I go out.

• Like 1

I already broke my manual hubs and I've committed to SAS My front end currently needs bearings; one cv; the hubs replaced and I won't spend any money on it because of doing Sas soon . I will be locked afterwards it's just hard to spend over$1000 on a ARB for Independant suspension .

Wow, I can literally respond to all of these posts... *Deep breath*

Staangsfab's kit is worth EVERY PENNY!!! First off, its LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! Secondly, the maintenance parts available for all the front end parts are DIRT CHEAP, AVAILABLE and tough as nails. And finally, the performance improvement is pretty much indescribable. Its a totally different truck... with-out having to go to a vehicle that comes with a solid axle from the factory. To buy something that comes with a solid axle for 5K would put you back to square one (as far as modifications go) So you'll spend another 4-5 on getting your POS Jeep up to where your SAS'd R50 would be with the StaangsFab kit. If you can come up with this kit on your own, this well made, with a warranty, go ahead. I promise, YOU can't.

As for how much can you break your IFS to drive you to the SAS? In 8 months I did 4 sets of wheel bearings (NEW SPINDLES EACH TIME because the 35's vaporized the bearings in minutes), Did my inner and outer tie rods 3 times in a year, the struts literally do nothing after a couple "top-outs" and need to be replaced. All of this stuff takes out waaaay too much of my time/money. All of this stuff is eliminated by the Over-engineered parts in the SAS components. If you don't get the hype, come out wheeling with me and see if your IFS can get you over and through the things I can now crawl over with ease.

I love my Nissan, I've loved it as it grew from the 2" lift to what it is now. I feel much better knowing that I don't have to settle for a Jeep that is gonna land me back in the shop every time I go out.

Thanks bud I feel like I've been fighting a losing battle.