starter

bonehead

i read the post in the how to section but cant see any pics. was wondering if any one has a video or pics on how to remove the starter from a 1991 vg30e auto trans.

Edited by bonehead

With no body lift it's harder to remove of course, the first time I removed mine I was able to get it out from the top, I actually pulled on the inner fender with my hands and got it to move enough to get it up between the inner fender and the exhaust manifold. I was told it will come right out from the front if you unbolt the idler arm (3 bolts and nuts), I did that the second time I took it out and although I was told it "will come right out" I had to fight with it and the tranny lines but finally got it out. Installing the new one took 10 seconds dropping it in from the top.

My dad and uncle did mine when it died, so I'm not much help. IIRC though it won't come out (stock height) unless you remove the heat shield over the wires. At that point, you can rotate it and thread it out between lines and things.

We went at it through the fender, the underside, and the top. Helps to pull the oil filter, but remember to put it back on! We forgot... first time it fired up it barfed a quart of oil onto the driveway.

Hi sorry no pics but they are on here somewhere. Some guys are able to remove install by pulling it out from the top, but I have found it easiest to remove/install from the front. There is a really good post on it.

-jack it up

-block it (Safety first)

-remove front pax side tire (optional but makes things easier)

-disconnect battery

-drain oil

-remove oil filter

-remove 2 bolts (14mm? and some extensions) on bell housing

-slide starter forward

-rotate it past A/T lines, and engine mount (M/T are much easier!!)

-remove pax side drag link and move out of the way (optional but makes things easier if you have access to a tie rod tool or fork)

-have an 8-12" block or object handy to rest the starter on when you do loosen the nuts on the cables, so that it isn't hanging on the cables. While you look for a 12mm or 1/2" wrench to loosen nuts on cables.

I think that is everything...