Installing AC in a NON ac pathy?

Balln

Hey guys i found a very nice pathfinder 95 4dr v6 with ALOT of work put into it for a price i cant resist but it came from factory with no AC But the vents are there in the dash so does that mean there is heat and all the plumbing in there? How hard would it be to install ac in this pathy? I have a 88 hardbody with a 95 ka24 engine and pathy interior. Its just sitting in my driveway and i can take parts from it if need be. Will it be a plug and play behind the dash or will i have to splice in harness and pigtails? I also have a 4dr pathy wiring harness with all the relays, pigtails and stuff that came out of a pathy with ac in a box in the garage. And as far as under the hood i know i will have to get brackets to hold the compressor. Will the lines,condensor,compressor,ect work in the pathy? Someone said the compressor will be to small and the rpms of the hardbody compressor wont work for the pathy.

There is alot of pathfinders being parted out on craigslsit so i should be able to get all the parts for a fair price if the hardbody stuff doesnt work.

How big of a job will this be?

Thanks Guys

Get ready to pull the dash apart to install the core. That's the biggest part, everything else, Pipes drier, pump etc should bolt on pretty easy(by comparison at least). Make sure you check your wires on the compressor so that it shuts off automatically when cooling is sufficient.

Edited by MY1PATH

Thanks for the help!!!! Yeah i dont mind pulling the dash and stuff i have done that a few times. But one of my main concerns is will the hardbodys stuff work if so great!!! And will all the pigtails i need be already wired in the harness or will i have to do that?

Thanks again for the help :aok:

Ryan

Thanks for the help!!!! Yeah i dont mind pulling the dash and stuff i have done that a few times. But one of my main concerns is will the hardbodys stuff work if so great!!! And will all the pigtails i need be already wired in the harness or will i have to do that?

Thanks again for the help :aok:

Ryan

It should all work. Most of the options available for each year model are usually pre-wired even if the option itself was not included. 1 harness design to cover thousands of pathfinders regardless of options selected.

I think all You may need to do is add relays and fuses. But if I'm wrong its only about 4 wires anyway.

Where was your pathfinder made?

I have the brouchure for 92 , 94 and 95 and having a vehicle without A/C was not an option on pathfinders it shows standard on every model on the years listed above.

If you had a Pathfinder they all came with Heat and A/C even the XE the only option was for Auto climate on the SE it shows.

If you had a hardbody with short bed , 4 cyclinder and 5 speed manual they had a fleet package that didn't have a/c put that was it.

Edited by wd21overland

Ok i called the dealer ship and they said there was a value model made in 95 only that could be purchased but sold in extremly low numbers.

He gave me the list of what you will need to convert it over to A/C

1. Control head with a/c

2. A/c relay and fuses.

3. Wiring harness 402745 - B

4. A/c Condensor

5. A/c High and low pressure lines.

6. A/c Dryer

7. A/c coils

8. complete new HVAC box for A/C ( if you had the heater only option the box is different and the coil will not fit inside.

9. New IAC valve (the one with a/c is different and will raise idle when a/c is turned on)

10. A/C compressor

11. Idler pulley with bracket.

12. Engine bracket for a/c

Now i'm sure you will be getting alot from the junkyard but there is the list og what you need.

He said if you bought it all new from the dealership it will run $3178.76 (WOW)

After asking him for the list i think i will never buy a vehicle that doesn't have a/c.

Thanks guys for the help and WOW you called the dealer ship thats pretty cool man and that price is alot more then what i want to dump into the ac system. I posted up on another sight and a guy said he was pretty sure on the wireing issue its just plug in some relays and fuses so hopfully he is right.

Thanks again guys you guys are awsome

Thanks guys for the help and WOW you called the dealer ship thats pretty cool man and that price is alot more then what i want to dump into the ac system. I posted up on another sight and a guy said he was pretty sure on the wireing issue its just plug in some relays and fuses so hopfully he is right.

Thanks again guys you guys are awsome

Yeah the wiring harness is already setup for a/c so everything will plug in the wiring harness number he gave me is for a short connector so i'm sure it wont be a issue.

Your best bet will be if you have donor vehicle with a/c which i'm sure you can find easy for a few hundred no engine or what not.

And you could finish is pretty quick.

Where was your pathfinder made?

I have the brouchure for 92 , 94 and 95 and having a vehicle without A/C was not an option on pathfinders it shows standard on every model on the years listed above.

If you had a Pathfinder they all came with Heat and A/C even the XE the only option was for Auto climate on the SE it shows.

If you had a hardbody with short bed , 4 cyclinder and 5 speed manual they had a fleet package that didn't have a/c put that was it.

Don't just trust what was "Standard equipment". Despite my truck being an SE model, I don't have power windows or power locks, but apparently, it was standard equipment and EVERY other SE hardbody does have p/w and p/l. And yet, I have power mirrors, sunroof, sliding rear window, bed liner, and A/C. You would think power locks could have sneaked themselves in somehow.

I'm pretty sure you could definitely get them without A/C. A/C was a very expensive option. I found this picture. A/C was almost $1000 extra. I'm sure a lot of people would have wanted to save $1000 on an already overpriced vehicle.

I found the winder sticker from my 1995 SE 4x4, thought I would share. I bought it in 2005 with 72,000....now it is my second vehicle, still running strong with 196,000. Best vehicle EVER! :beer:

1995NissanPathfinderSE4x4windowsticker.jpg

Besides, you can STILL buy vehicles with manual locks and windows and without A/C today.

Oh yeah, one last tidbit about this. You're pretty misinformed about Hardbodys. Most HBs were base models. As cheap as you could get. Pretty much, if it was a standard cab, it was sparse with options.

Most Hardbodies didn't even have power steering, power brakes or cassette players, much less A/C.

To get back on topic, you could definitely do it because all the Pathfinders are technically the same before options are put on, and Nissan did it, so you can do it. It just might be more work than it's worth.

Also, keep in mind when you're scavenging the parts that it's going to be extremely easy to bend and break/puncture your pipes. Taking parts off of an old vehicle and putting them on yours might put too much stress on them and it might not work properly.

It's worth a try though

Ok guys i have some ruff news the pathy and owner where kinda shady so i asked the guy selling it if he could send me the vin # through a email so i could carfax it but i was also going to run it through the DMV to see if it was clean but he told me no and that he was just going to keep it. Thats after he lowered the price that no one would say no too and was very helpful but as soon as i said vin he backed out fast. I dont think thats to much to ask for when im looking into buying a truck 900 miles away so im taking it that there is some shady stuff going on with that truck. It has a slavage title and other flaws that he had awnsers to but they didnt really make since. So im still on the hunt for a pathy lol wish this one could have worked out it sure is a good lookin rig.

0191.jpg

0211.jpg