Weird headlight issue

elcid

Hi

I searched to see if a similar post could be found but not much luck

My ldriver side headlight sometimes will not turn on at all. However if I flash the high beams on/off, sometimes it turns it on!

Has anyone seen this issue before?

It's a very common issue... in fact this is the 3rd thread I've seen recently on dodgy lights! I'm not sure how the search feature on here works, but I suspect it runs on kerosene and potatoes.

It's probably the contacts inside your light switch. Mine did pretty much the same thing. The problem is that the switch contacts are supposed to pass all the current for the headlights... they do okay for a while, but after 15+ years they quit working so well. Most of us hack in headlight relays, which takes most of the load off of the switch (and makes the lights brighter). Pull the bottom dash plate (two screws on the bottom, then pull), pull steering column cover, then remove the two screws and the plug holding the stick in... pull the translucent cover off the back, shoot some contact cleaner into the contacts, maybe hit them with fine sand paper if they really look ugly. Cycle the stick around to make sure they still make contact, test it out, then reassemble and put it all back together. Then start considering the relay mod!

Hi

I searched to see if a similar post could be found but not much luck

My ldriver side headlight sometimes will not turn on at all. However if I flash the high beams on/off, sometimes it turns it on!

Has anyone seen this issue before?

If you check the last 2 head lights posts they both have the same issue as you so not sure how you searched but oh well.

The headlight switch needs to be cleaned or replaced and also adding in the headlight relay and wiring will do wonders.

My problem was another issue but 1 of the headlights did not work and that was the headlight switch i replaced mine with a new 1 runs about $45 to 55 depending on where you shop.

Power goes into the switch via 2 Headlight fuses 1 fuse controls Left side high and low and the other controls right side high and low.

Then inside the switch the connector splits it into 4 wires and then goes directly to the shaft of the switch.

The design is horrid and will fail with time and power going through the switch.

so hope that a better understanding lol i was bored.

Edited by wd21overland

If you check the last 2 head lights posts they both have the same issue as you so not sure how you searched but oh well.

The headlight switch needs to be cleaned or replaced and also adding in the headlight relay and wiring will do wonders.

My problem was another issue but 1 of the headlights did not work and that was the headlight switch i replaced mine with a new 1 runs about $45 to 55 depending on where you shop.

Power goes into the switch via 2 Headlight fuses 1 fuse controls Left side high and low and the other controls right side high and low.

Then inside the switch the connector splits it into 4 wires and then goes directly to the shaft of the switch.

The design is horrid and will fail with time and power going through the switch.

so hope that a better understanding lol i was bored.

Thanks everyone. I will try cleaning out the switch or replace it. Next time, I will search better.