Need new floor/bottle jack.

Trogdor636

So in the process of putting my new shocks in, my unbranded/really old little floor Jack finally failed. I have one more shock to get in, so I need to pick up another Jack. Im trying to keep it on the small side, so can anyone recommend a decent one that can lift a stock height Pathy? Im not opposed to bottle jacks either, does anyone use one of those frequently or is a bigger headache since you can't roll it around?

Your failed jack might've leaked out all of its jack oil, refill it with some new oil or even ATF/PSF and it might start working again.

Its had a blown seal for as long as i can remember. Its always leaked slowly, but it finally completely gave it up. Besides the body of the Jack is actually bent (all 4 wheels have never been on the ground all at once!) and it barely lifts the Pathy to get a tire off the ground, even at full height. It was my dads before it was mine, he probably tried to Jack up a motorhome at some point knowing him so its served life well.

I actually prefer bottle jacks. They can be much taller without being much heavier. They also make bottle jacks on rollers.

I try to save floor jacks for things that are too low for my bottle jack to get under.

What he said.

Bottle jacks work just fine, often have greater lift and take less space than a floor jack but aren't quite as convenient. The stock Nissan bottle jack works quite well, I'm assuming your truck didn't come with one?

B

I actually prefer bottle jacks. They can be much taller without being much heavier. They also make bottle jacks on rollers.

I try to save floor jacks for things that are too low for my bottle jack to get under.

Bottle jacks are good, for the reasons you pointed out, but they can be unsafe. I definitely agree that they can achieve good lift while being lighter, cheaper, and MUCH stronger (some bottle jacks are capable of 20tons! at $100).

The problem is, they have a small base. If the surface you are using isn't perfectly flat and level, it can get sketchy. Even a pebble or chunk of asphalt can make it wobbly. Now, of course, this doesn't really matter if you are putting your vehicle on jackstands, but if you don't carry jackstands around with you when you are driving, it might be dangerous to change a tire with a bottle jack.

I'm just saying this because I think it's an important aspect when buying a jack. But of course, I had an extremely hard time finding a floor jack that had enough range to even touch my frame, much less lift the vehicle.

edit: the roller type bottle jack probably doesn't suffer from this. Hmm, I've never actually seen or heard of a roller bottle jack. That would be a good investment.

Edited by 1994SEV6

I have a 20 ton bottle jack in the back of my truck for changing tires. I think it was $50. The load rating is clearly total overkill, but the lift range is what I need to be able to change any of the tires and lift the truck in a useful way. It's a little heavy, but not too big. I use a floor jack for home repair, usually either lifting off the front crossmember or rear diff (of course with jackstands after it's jacked).

I have a nice F-550 bottle jack, no idea what it is rated and I won't say where I got it either !!

I would check out harbor freight for an inexpensive floor jack, I have the stock jack, the jack mentioned above and a Sears floor jack that I bought in 93 and still works fine but I only use the floor jack.

That one that has the bottle jack with the built in jack stand is pretty cool, from Tractor supply for $30 link below:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/powerbuilt-reg-3-ton-jack-amp-jack-stand-1160455

Edited by ahardb0dy

I have a nice F-550 bottle jack, no idea what it is rated and I won't say where I got it either !!

I would check out harbor freight for an inexpensive floor jack, I have the stock jack, the jack mentioned above and a Sears floor jack that I bought in 93 and still works fine but I only use the floor jack.

That one that has the bottle jack with the built in jack stand is pretty cool, from Tractor supply for $30 link below:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/powerbuilt-reg-3-ton-jack-amp-jack-stand-1160455

That is kinda cool. I might go check that out. I've never been into my local Tractor Supply store, I would of never thought about it until now.

Well, if you were closer, I have 3 or 4 of them that do work... :whistle:

B

Story of my life. :headwall:

The more I look at that thing, the more I think how awesome it is. I was gonna grab a 6 ton Craftsman bottle jack, but for 30 bucks I am gonna hope my local store has that in stock.

the reviews suggest they are prone to leaking. Hopefully they have a good replacement policy. I may just get a few as well.

funny, I would think binding would be an issue with the offset lift point, so keep that square tube greased!

Edited by MY1PATH

Alls I can say is be careful when handling the Horrible Freight 20-ton bottle jacks. They have a rubber fill plug that can get caught on stuff if you're sliding it around and then dump stinky Chinese fluid all over the place. Did that one earlier trying to get the jack out of a storage compartment in a motor home. Pissed me off. A hose clamp seems to cover the plug okay, but the jack would have to come completely apart to tap a proper fill plug in there.

Edited by Kingman