cleaning/repairing light switch ?

rrxx007

just removed the light switch, carefully though because the two parts between the wheel and the dash are about to crack. Anyway tried cleaning the contact pins with a piece of sanding paper and nothing, it seems that there is some corrosion but inside and bellow the copper colored pins

402703_2344105255402_1633137890_1617426_1919332125_n.jpg

404230_2344106375430_1633137890_1617427_1857820646_n.jpg

i dont know if you can notice the greenish hue between the copper contacts. My question is can I remove that white part from the switch to clean it from the inside or should I just by a new one?

BTW its a pathfinder xe 1994 4x4

The corrosion you're seeing is between the metal and the plastic, and probably isn't hurting much. When I did mine I took it apart further (pulled the switch itself apart) and cleaned the contacts in there. Getting the plate to unsnap is interesting, but once that's out, it's easy enough to get at everything. I used some contact cleaner in mine and bent them around a little bit (too much, actually, and I had to open it back up and fix it again).

If it won't go back together/you're not up to it, then yeah, buy a new one.

Bad news! Just took the switch appart cleaned it with contact cleaner and a piece of sand paper and reinstalled to the truck and nothing :scratchhead: now i'm doubtful as to what is the problem here...

Mine acted a little funny after I took it apart the first time. Turned out I'd bent up one of the little contacts. I marked mine up when I had the back open on Saturday, looking for a high-beam lead (re-wiring my driving lights).

P1010001-12.jpg

Make sure they're clean, and (more importantly) that they're touching. A little re-bending should get yours working again, assuming all the parts are there.

Also make sure the plug is clean and making good contact. Wiggle it and see if the lights flicker.

Np. The plug in the unit should be easy enough to get to with some fine sandpaper folded around a little piece of wood or something. Electronic/tuner cleaner should help, especially on the harness plug, where pretty much nothing else is going to get in there. A little WD-40 afterwards shouldn't hurt anything.

IIRC, if you take the light/turn signal base apart further, the plug blades will actually come out. That would make cleaning a little easier, but the reassembly is a pain.

While you've got your dash etc torn apart, you might as well rule out other connection issues. The wires going to the headlights do flake out, but I'd be surprised if all four were dead. Try sticking a jumper wire in the plug, and see if the lights come on. I'm fairly sure that the two contacts at the far left (in the above pic) are a direct + from the battery, and the other four in the middle connect to them selectively for the high and low beams. Make sure that the plug is getting the +12v (you have checked the fuse, right?), and that the headlights are grounded properly/good bulbs/all that.

Your switch is a likely culprit, but before tearing it all to bits, can't hurt to rule out the other lousy wiring!

well I already took the switch completely appart taking out each pin cleaning and then put it back together for nothing! bent them and made sure they made contact, nothing; moved around the plug, nothing; my makers and signal lights and brake lights all work only the low/high beam is giving me trouble :scratchhead:

Can you test the switch with a voltmeter? Starting to sound like it's not the problem.

Like I said, make sure the plug's getting power. Set the voltmeter to 12v (or use a tail light bulb for all it matters), touch one lead to a bare spot on the body (I used a metal bracket next to the fuse box; the door hinge should work too). It's the six pins in the middle you're looking at, and again, it's the ones on the end IIRC. If there's no power to them, check the wires on the plug (PO on mine had clearly tried to tap something into them, and left a mess of bare wires and crimp connectors). If those are okay, go through the bulbs, plugs, fuses, etc. There's got to be a fault somewhere in the system, you've just got to narrow it down.

Or, maybe you've got a bad fuse link like this guy: :clickdalink: