brake pads....

captandy

EBC cast iron rotors will work great with ceramic pads because they are really good at containing heat.

I use Brembo rotors myself and tried EBC on another vehicle and have to say that there is no difference. I don't know if Brembo rotors are also cast iron or not but EBCs seem to surface rust just a whee bit quicker than the Brembos. When you clean the grease off the rotors with Brakleen, only clean the contact area of the pad. Leave the anti-rust grease on the rest of the rotor, it helps.

I went nutty when I had a 40% off many months ago and went with Baer Decela Rotors (cross drilled/slotted) and some EBC Green Stuff Pads. They are crazy good combo. Not sure about longevity of the pads, but I've heard good things.

Where did you get Baer rotors?! :blink:

Couldn't remember and had to check my receipts - AutoAnything - 30% discount code and free shipping. Still very expensive if you ask me, but I decided to give it a try.

Here's my $0.02...

I stay away from the drilled or slotted rotors because I'm not a race car and will never use the "features." Also, 4x4s tend to get junk in the holes. With rotors, more mass to absorb and dissipate heat the better. I've used various rotors over the years, from Brembo blanks to auto part store house brands to super-duper cryo treated slotted, and finally used and stuck with the Centric brand.

I only use ceramic pads now (less dust, quiet, etc) and for our year Pathfinder, here's what I like:

Pads

Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims

P/N 105.0691 ('96-'04)

$27.77 on Amazon.com with free shipping

Rotors

Centric C-Tek Standard Brake Rotor (good, clean ready to install rotor)

P/N 121.42063 ('96-'99)

P/N 121.42068 ('99.5-'04)

$30.70 on Amazon.com with free shipping

Centric Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating (above rotor with black e-coating and extra finishing, great installed look and performace)

P/N 120.42063 ('96-'99)

P/N 120.42068 ('99.5-'04)

$59.07 on Amazon.com with free shipping

FYI, I hate drum brakes so I haven't looked into the rear brakes except for wanting to convert to discs.

(updated part numbers)

Edited by E_ROCK
  • Like 1

I have been getting my front brakes from the dealer. Before you laugh, consider: I've never had to do the rear, or needed rotors. They always last me around 50,000 miles, don't squeal, don't kick out tons of brake dust, and stop the truck adequately. The price was always within a few bucks of other shops in my area. I'm not so easy on my brakes, either. Stop n go commuting, off-roading, some towing, 80 mph highways to 15 mph ramps, etc. 121k on my third set.