chasing a 100mm / 4" suspension lift (trailmaster etc)

terra88

Hey guys,

I'm in Australia and these 4" lifts are not available over here. I have previously had a 2 door terrano with a trailmaster lift but that kit is discontinued and not in stock.

I am looking for a similar kit for my 94 wd21 but can't seem to find anyone that makes them. I know a sas would be a better idea but don't have the time or resourses to do that.

any info would be great, Thanks Lee

Hello Lee. I checked with 4 wheel parts (big 4wd shop up here) and no joy . Also checked ebay and craigslist in CA. and NV. sorry no joy. Maybe someone out there will have a line on one. Good luck. Adrian

Hello Lee. I checked with 4 wheel parts (big 4wd shop up here) and no joy . Also checked ebay and craigslist in CA. and NV. sorry no joy. Maybe someone out there will have a line on one. Good luck. Adrian

Thanks Mate

To be perfectly honest, why do you have your heart set on that lift? From everything I've read on them it's actually the worst lift kit available due to the fact that it lowers the T-Bar Anchors so low. You belly clearance becomes an issue and its way more susceptible to damage. I believe it's the more expensive way to lift as well. Yes it offers 4" list, but not without its own issues. Have you thought about any other methods?

Oddly enough there is one in town for sell on craigslist.

It says complete kit with ssv shocks.

It also said its ever been installed before and from the pics it does look brand new but kind of odd that it was never installed since i think they quit making it a few years ago but i guess it can happen.

He is asking $450 usd for it which is great but the shipping might be the fun part lol.

Oddly enough there is one in town for sell on craigslist.

It says complete kit with ssv shocks.

It also said its ever been installed before and from the pics it does look brand new but kind of odd that it was never installed since i think they quit making it a few years ago but i guess it can happen.

He is asking $450 usd for it which is great but the shipping might be the fun part lol.

Hey mate, can you send me the link? I have never used craigslist before

Thought about modifying the Front diff support? Theres a guy on here, cant recall the name offhand, who cut and rewelded the support brace so the mounts to the frame are the same but the Diff support sits about... 1/2" to 1" lower. Corrects the CV angle more and it's just high enough that the bottom of the CV's don't make contact with the LCA. That can allow for a little more lift in the front. Not anything close to 4 inches mind you. Here's a pic.

dropdownbracket.jpg

Also, I say a picture on here of a Terrano from Japan or Indonesia I think...... But they had a completely unique LCA lowering arm so that you keep the Torsion bars still at factory levels, tucked up nice and safe. It's really hard to describe to say the least and Try as I may, I cannot find where I put that photo, but its on here. SOMEWHERE..... It was really cool. Perhaps someone else will remember and have the image saved.

Edited by Dowser
  • Like 1

Thought about modifying the Front diff support? Theres a guy on here, cant recall the name offhand, who cut and rewelded the support brace so the mounts to the frame are the same but the Diff support sits about... 1/2" to 1" lower. Corrects the CV angle more and it's just high enough that the bottom of the CV's don't make contact with the LCA. That can allow for a little more lift in the front. Not anything close to 4 inches mind you. Here's a pic.

dropdownbracket.jpg

Also, I say a picture on here of a Terrano from Japan or Indonesia I think...... But they had a completely unique LCA lowering arm so that you keep the Torsion bars still at factory levels, tucked up nice and safe. It's really hard to describe to say the least and Try as I may, I cannot find where I put that photo, but its on here. SOMEWHERE..... It was really cool. Perhaps someone else will remember and have the image saved.

yeah I looked at modifying the cross member but the cv's sit close to the torsion bars as it is so you wouldn't gain much without dropping the whole lot. If I could get the kit or at least the main parts that would make life a lot easier

• 1 month later...

To be perfectly honest, why do you have your heart set on that lift? From everything I've read on them it's actually the worst lift kit available due to the fact that it lowers the T-Bar Anchors so low. You belly clearance becomes an issue and its way more susceptible to damage. I believe it's the more expensive way to lift as well. Yes it offers 4" list, but not without its own issues. Have you thought about any other methods?

I suppose then a 3" SL and 2-3" BL for now will do for now. So a 4" SL requires much more custom fabbing or is it just that kit?

Also, I saw a picture on here of a Terrano from Japan or Indonesia I think...... But they had a completely unique LCA lowering arm so that you keep the Torsion bars still at factory levels, tucked up nice and safe. It's really hard to describe to say the least and Try as I may, I cannot find where I put that photo, but its on here. SOMEWHERE..... It was really cool. Perhaps someone else will remember and have the image saved.

Ahhhhh Found it.

LCAdropdown.jpg

I suppose then a 3" SL and 2-3" BL for now will do for now. So a 4" SL requires much more custom fabbing or is it just that kit?

The Trailmaster Kit is a completely different kit that lifts the vehicle a different way. Technically you could use both lift kits to achieve 7" of Suspension Lift, But not without a lot of messing around fixing things like Parking brake issues, Rear Drive shaft rubbing on crossmembers, Panhard Bar leveling, brake lines, I'm thinking there may be other issues with Drive shaft angles in the front but I can't be certain. I'm sure there is much more that would need attention then I've posted here.

What most people do is Crank the torsion bars so that it lifts the front end. What limits you in going higher is a number of factors, Balljoint and CV angles get maxed, and Actual Clearance with UCA's hitting bumpstops, which if you have them resting on bumps stops gives you no down travel and makes the ride incredibly harsh and jarring. The Trailmaster kit Lowers the whole front system and the rear Torsion Bar Anchor system so that you can keep the suspension at reasonable operating angles, but with the downside being your Torsion Bar Anchors at the belly of your rig sit 4"s lower then the frame rails and the T-bars and anchor become a place that can really get damaged. They are no longer tucked up and under the vehicle out of harms way.

In that picture above they have some sort of crazy ass system that lowers the front end, but keeps the torsion bars and anchors at the same factory spots and just the Upper and lower control arms along with the Diff support are lowered. Pretty ingenious but I've no idea how well it would actually function in a harsh offroad scenario. Great Idea though if you want to keep IFS suspension I think.

Edited by Dowser

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic again but I have just come across something that i'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet or at least not in this topic. Its called a Torsion Bar Relocator basically the same concept as the picture dowser posted but a much more simple design. Here is a website of one of the manufactures of this kit. It's not for a nissan but you get the idea. Here is a link to a US patent of the product explaining more about the concept. Here is a link the goes through their prototypes.

6767021-0-display.jpgf85fb8e7.jpg

here are the instructions for the 4" Trailmaster suspension lift so you can see what is involved in installing this lift kit:

wm0ynk.jpg

2wexbf5.jpg

2z8xkdz.jpg

2cgctgw.jpg

2ajc2s3.jpg

jhsgzk.jpg

xkykon.jpg

30j1vdu.jpg

2uj5ogj.jpg

years ago I had the chance to buy this kit at 45% off of jobber price, if I recall it would have cost me $345, but never did it, really don't like how the torsion bars look like they are hanging down, this was when I had my hardbody which already had a 3" body lift, modified factory UCA's (Jim Conner Racing parts before the tubular arms came out used a ball joint spacer), and 2 stage torsion bars. Truck cleared 35's no problem.

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...