Where WD21 vehicles were built: Kyushu, Japan

jwblue

nissan_kyushu_themotorjp1.jpg

mainimg.jpg

Recently, Nissan created individual corporations for each of their manufacturing plants in order to create competitiveness between

plants and improve vehicle quality. Interesting idea.

Here is a website for the plant. A lot of interesting information on that site.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/AREA/FUKUOKA/ENGLISH/index.html

If I was in Japan I would definitely take a plant tour. It is about 3 hours by train/plane $460. Five hours by train and bus @$270.

Edited by jwblue

http://www.nissan.co.jp/AREA/FUKUOKA/ENGLISH/MAKING/seisanshahu.html

The only vehicles that are still built in Kyushu.

I wonder if there would be a quality difference in a vehicle if it was built by American workers vs. Japanese workers, all other things

being equal.

I doubt it. I think vehicle quality has more to do with design then who turns the bolts.

Edited by jwblue

I was still working in a dealership when Smyrna started producing vehicles, they were close but we could still tell the difference.

It wasn't anything major, but just little things that we spotted.

I wonder if there would be a quality difference in a vehicle if it was built by American workers vs. Japanese workers, all other things

being equal.

I doubt it. I think vehicle quality has more to do with design then who turns the bolts.

The first year titan built by american workers had a lot of bolts they didn't turn. Lots of rattles in the dash and other places and when you took them apart you would find bolts that were started and never tightened.

I kept my first titan, an 04 for 17 months and still don't know why I bought another one after the problems I had with the first one. This one has been better.

James

From the design of the vehicle to where that vehicle is assembled, it all matters. If one of those "from design to production" steps are a failure then you will get a crappy vehicle. I'm not saying that all American plant workers suck but American Nissan operations aren't the greatest. Now, Nissan is also making crappy designs, just look at their recent model line, 90% of it is Renault garbage in Nissan's overalls. You can't blame the workers for that but you can blame Nissan and their CEO. Nissan still only exists because they went on a cost cutting operation in 1999, which explains their steep decline in vehicle quality. The only exception from all this mess is their flagship model, the Nissan GT-R.

Edited by Tungsten

Versa

Murano

Murano CrossCabriolet

Cube

Sentra

Juke

X-trail

Rogue

Need I name more?

What makes them garbage though? Are you saying Nissan didnt design them and Renault did? I know people who own a Murano, a Cube and a Rogue. All very happy with them, no problems. And the Sentra has been a Nissan staple for ages.

Renault was very involved in Nissan since 1999. The cars just suck. I have worked on newer (01+) Nissan cars (not trucks) before and was very disappointed with their quality. It seems to me like nothing lasts past 30,000 miles!

we can't take tours in the Tennessee plant?

Unless things have changed, I don't believe you can. I have been there with a group of Nissan dealers, and I had to wait outside on the bus while they took the tour, as I was not a Nissan employee.

Renault was very involved in Nissan since 1999. The cars just suck. I have worked on newer (01+) Nissan cars (not trucks) before and was very disappointed with their quality. It seems to me like nothing lasts past 30,000 miles!

I believe some of the designs are questionable, but if nothing lasted longer than 30k I'm pretty sure Nissan would not be around. And the cars they design aren't far off from what everyone else does. Pt Cruisers, HHR's, XB's, and all the different crossover SUV's it seems like every automaker has at least 2-3 of. Everybody has become cookie cutter because that's what sells.

That's right! Every auto maker has their questionable cars but as nismothunder pointed out, most new Nissans are also ugly as hell. These days I would rather buy a Chrysler or a Ford. I find new Nissan designs to be very repulsive. The only worse brand is Toyota (Lexus). I just laugh at people who drive these ugly as sin vehicles.

As to why they are still around, I don't know, they really should not exist anymore. People must like leasables that they can drive for a year and then get rid of.

480-cube.jpg

2011-nissan-murano-cross-cabriolet---01-opt.jpg

THIS IS DOG CRAP

---------------------

nissan-240sx.jpg

THIS IS NICE

Edited by Tungsten

I believe some of the designs are questionable, but if nothing lasted longer than 30k I'm pretty sure Nissan would not be around. And the cars they design aren't far off from what everyone else does.

Everybody has become cookie cutter because that's what sells.

Well Dodge has been doing for years and there still around.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/2779430152.html

Dog crap

Nice

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/2749919909.html

The Cube is for hipsters, the convertible Murano is for old people who still think they are cool. I think the Altima, Maxima, and 370Z look good. The GT-R speaks for itself whether you think it looks good or not, its just a supercar. Flip to the Infiniti side and everything looks good, of course its all the same platforms. I just wish Nissan would release a new 240Z or 510, sort of like the Retro muscle cars (Charger, Camaro etc) have made a comeback.

Edited by Trogdor636

I think both Nissan's and Infiniti's designers are on a combination of drugs in both the car and truck departments. The G coupe, M sedan, Titan, and GT-R are acceptable but the rest is lame. Those sales haven't been that great for a reason.

Edited by Tungsten