1994 SE : Was a Vehicle Security System standard equipment?

jwblue

I am not referring to the remote that could only unlock the vehicle.

Did it have starter kill? Was the alarm loud on it?

Edited by jwblue

AFAIK, yes.

Although, fairly cheesey and easy to disable (turn the ignition switch), the alarm is an attention getter. not only does it honk the horn and flash all the lights, but it has a secondary alarm horn like an aftermarket system would that's attached to the inside of the driver side fender with security screws. I need to get a working horn for my truck, had one but the wire broke :(. And when I do, I'll make a video of it going off.

AFAIK, yes.

Although, fairly cheesey and easy to disable (turn the ignition switch), the alarm is an attention getter. not only does it honk the horn and flash all the lights, but it has a secondary alarm horn like an aftermarket system would that's attached to the inside of the driver side fender with security screws. I need to get a working horn for my truck, had one but the wire broke :(. And when I do, I'll make a video of it going off.

I was reading the manual for Vehicle Security System that came with the Pathfinder.

I also noticed that the alarm can be disabled by turning the ignition switch. Is that easily done without a key?

The manual doesn't say anything about a starter kill.

I need to get a working horn for my truck, had one but the wire broke :(. And when I do, I'll make a video of it going off.

Can the wire be replaced instead of getting a new horn?

Are you going to try and fix the stock alarm horn? If you are, I am curious enough to hear it.

Edited by jwblue

depends upon how strong the guy jamming the flat bladed screw driver in to your ignition switch is :( I don't believe it has a starter kill. Like most alarms from the factory, they are very primitive.

Actually, the whole story is this trucks original horn did not work, so it was replaced with a junkyard unit which did work, but the wire was very brittle and eventually broke. I then replaced it with the current alarm horn, and it does not work either. I just also forget when I'm at the yard to grab another horn!

The vehicle security systems (VSS) in these vehicles were dealer installed options. It does have a starter kill but it is mostly useless as putting the keys in the ingnition in most cases disables it. IIRC If you want to see the starter kill work, try arming the system without getting out of the vehicle, then try to start it, it will go off and not start until you disarm it with the remote. I also belive it will lock the starter if you try to start it while it is in the 30 second arming status, or open the door from the inside while in the arming status. It will also not start if you bust the lock and try to hotwire the ignition switch. But as I said, it is not super effective as far as starter kills go.

I actually bought the last one available from the main Nissan warehouse for myself about 2 years ago, just to have:

P1010858.jpg

P1010860.jpg

Edited by Alkorahil

Having the keyfob is more secure than locking the door. if you arm it with the keyfob, it's enabled instantly and goes off right away if a door (incl hood) is opened without disarming it with the keyfob.

if you arm it without the keyfob, it arms in thirty seconds. if you open the door in that 30 second period, it disarms automatically. if you open the door after it is armed you have, i think, 30 seconds to disable it by turning the ignition to ACC or else it sounds the alarm.

On that note, I need a keyfob. :)

The vehicle security systems (VSS) in these vehicles were dealer installed options.

Thank you for those photos.

So does that mean it was not even possible to custom order a Pathfinder from Nissan with an alarm system?

Only the dealer could install it?

It will also not start if you bust the lock and try to hotwire the ignition switch.

Just curious. Why do you believe the starter kills is not effective?

Edited by jwblue

if you arm it without the keyfob, it arms in thirty seconds. if you open the door in that 30 second period, it disarms automatically. if you open the door after it is armed you have, i think, 30 seconds to disable it by turning the ignition to ACC or else it sounds the alarm.

On that note, I need a keyfob. :)

I didnt want to start a new thread, so I'm glad I saw this.

I think you answered the question I had. I thought my alarm was broken, but after messing with it one day it just started working. So basically if I lock the doors, then shut the door, when I come back say 30 minutes later and use my key to unlock, the alarm will still go off unless I put the key in the ignition?

I think you answered the question I had. I thought my alarm was broken, but after messing with it one day it just started working. So basically if I lock the doors, then shut the door, when I come back say 30 minutes later and use my key to unlock, the alarm will still go off unless I put the key in the ignition?

Using the key to lock/unlock the doors should both arm and disarm the system.

Thank you for those photos.

So does that mean it was not even possible to custom order a Pathfinder from Nissan with an alarm system?

Only the dealer could install it?

That is correct, the same was for the roof rack and fog lights, they were popular add ons that most dealers put on when the vehicles were shipped to the dealers to make more $$ but they did not come from the factory this way.

If you ever look in the Nissan parts catalogue (FAST) or the Factory Service Manual (FSM) they are not even listed....

Just curious. Why do you believe the starter kills is not effective?

Because even if the system is tripped anyone with the key can disarm it and then drive it off.

The vehicle security systems (VSS) in these vehicles were dealer installed options.

P1010860.jpg

THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!! Dealer installed option. That solves all my confusing thoughts.

Did dealers also install these on the Hardbodys? The picture clearly shows a D21, but I would think people in the 90s wouldn't want that in a pickup truck. I could always be very wrong.

Edited by 1994SEV6

If you lock the doors manually, not with the keyfob, and unlock the door with the key, you have thirty seconds to put the key in the ignition and turn it to at least ACC, or the alarm will sound.

• Like 1

If you lock the doors manually, not with the keyfob, and unlock the door with the key, you have thirty seconds to put the key in the ignition and turn it to at least ACC, or the alarm will sound.

no.no. I'm confused again. Why would someone with a key to the vehicle be the thief?

Ok, thanks for confirming. I thought something was screwy and I was hesitant to order a aftermarket keyfob off Ebay thinking the keyless might not work and I would be wasting money, but I'm gonna pick one up now.

check to make sure the LED blinks on the switch in either of the "on" positions when you lock and close the door, it should blink pretty quick at first, then after thirty seconds your markers should blink and the alarm box makes a tone and the LED blinks slower, I can't remember if the alarm horn chirps or not though.

check to make sure the LED blinks on the switch in either of the "on" positions when you lock and close the door, it should blink pretty quick at first, then after thirty seconds your markers should blink and the alarm box makes a tone and the LED blinks slower, I can't remember if the alarm horn chirps or not though.

Hmmm. None of that goes on. I do know I'm missing the pin for the hood pin switch, not sure if that would make it a issue. The LED stays off until the door is closed, but there is no fast blinking/markers blinking/tone of any sort. I'd compare with my friends 93, but his LED blinks 24/7, so his is psycho.

the LED could be worn out, I wouldn't spend money on keyfob until the system works. after thirty seconds of locking and closing the doors, your markers should blink. if they don't, the system is inoperable. there are two fuses under the driver seat near the alarm box, you could check those out.

Edited by silverton

I was wrong. The markers do blink and there is a tone from the alarm box after locking and shutting the door. I'm guessing I never paid attention until this morning. Key fob was essentially free after my eBay bucks, it was only 17 bucks shipped. It's a aftermarket one, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hmmm. None of that goes on. I do know I'm missing the pin for the hood pin switch, not sure if that would make it a issue. The LED stays off until the door is closed, but there is no fast blinking/markers blinking/tone of any sort. I'd compare with my friends 93, but his LED blinks 24/7, so his is psycho.

Without the hood pin, it will not arm.

Here is my installation of alarm, all buttons works, door lock - unlock, remote sound, starter kill.

First I wasted money, buying remotes (from left to right), original - could not program it, replacement - could not program it, and the one on the right side, came with the alarm.

29m97r5.jpg

this is the alarm kit (33 usd):

Alarm-CF.jpg

Installation:

t5nc08.jpg

starter kill

uyj5y.jpg

wiring

10hsu95.jpg

Electrician, charged 800 pesos for installation, 2o usd.

2ly4b6h.jpg

Milos

2niplwn.jpg

temperature 82F, December 2011, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean. B)

Edited by Milos

the one on the left is the factory fob, the one in the middle is an aftermarket fob for the stock alarm, that's the one I bought for my old truck. Looks like you have a solid aftermarket alarm now though! cheap install too! There is no way anyone here would do that for 20 USD!