Speed Sensor

NissanNismoZ

So, I lifted the Pathy and removed the speed sensor and checked it according to FSM.

Speed sensor checks out OK.

No problems. I figured that as my speedo works fine. It's right on.

So..where do I start?? I can't find anything on where the harness goes beyond the connector..

Thanks! :)

So, I lifted the Pathy and removed the speed sensor and checked it according to FSM.

Speed sensor checks out OK.

No problems. I figured that as my speedo works fine. It's right on.

So..where do I start?? I can't find anything on where the harness goes beyond the connector..

Thanks! :)

wait..wha...? What is it that you're trying to do? You said "I disconnected the speed sensor. I tested it. It worked. what to do?" I don't understand the question

Sorry I'm at work and didn't go as thorough as I should have..

I have a Speed Sensor code causing my CEL to come on, with no warning.. So I'm asking where to check next now that I know my speed sensor functions properly? My speedo has worked flawlessly and showed zero problems..so I'm not sure why it's on?

Well, usually the sensor is false.

But, if the sensor is good, then the sensor that senses the sensor is bad. That means that the wires from the speed sensor to the ECM, or wherever else those wires go, are faulty, OR your ECM is bad.

If the sensor that senses the sensor is also fine, then it's the operator.

Either you misinterpreted the code as something other than the speed sensor, or you tested the sensor wrong.

Hmm..spraying hard around the edges, no leaks?

But even then, wouldn't my speedo go wacky?

The 'sensor that senses the sensor' is the ecu..swapping ecu's still gives me the speed sensor code..thanks for the idea though. :)

Is there anywhere in the engine bay? A fuse? Anything? I've still been scanning the fsm to find nothing on where the speed sensor goes after it goes up by the tranny

Edited by NissanNismoZ

I'm not positive but I think the ECM reads the speed from the instrument cluster not the speed sensor on the trans. So like 1994SEV6 said "the sensor that reads the sensor". The trans sensor runs the electronic speedometer and apparently there is a sensor on the speedometer that sends a signal to the ECM. From what I've been told from Jim Wolf, no speed signal won't affect the way it runs, it will just trigger the light. When they put a nissan engine in an alternate application like sand rails or buggies they leave out a lot of un necessary sensors and just ignore the codes for them.

James

The only reason I'm concerned with it is it aggravates me having the light and I can't use my cruise control..which is very useful on those nights my feet are killing me after work.. But, I'm still nowhere..I remember seeing something on a site once showing it going into one of the harness' on the passenger side lifter cover.. But I haven't managed to find it again.. Thanks for the info, and if anyone knows anything on this, I'll definitely appreciate it, as it's the last thing I have to fix as far as my ECU is concerned. :)

I just looked at the wiring diagram and the signal to the ECU (and the cruise control unit) does come out of the speedo itself, not directly from the sensor. So check out that wiring etc. Maybe look in the FSM for troubleshooting procedures for it...

Yeah, EF/EC 88 and 89 has the speed sensor troubleshooting. Did you do that procedure?

You sir, deserve a +1

THANK you!!

I understand the cruise not working is a problem. Got to have cruise control!

James

Yeah, that's my view on it! :P

Otherwise it's a tease.. "haha you have cruise control, but you cant use me! HA!"

So, i've never removed my cluster before..here's to hoping i dont mess something up...

Edited by NissanNismoZ

I had speedo issues too. I ended up changing the speed sensor with a new one and I still had the same problems. I ended swapping my cluster from one from a wrecker and everything was fine. Even my tach started working. Could be your cluster is bad.

I had speedo issues too. I ended up changing the speed sensor with a new one and I still had the same problems. I ended swapping my cluster from one from a wrecker and everything was fine. Even my tach started working. Could be your cluster is bad.

But, the thing is i dont have speedo issues..my entire cluster works perfectly, my speedometer is right on the dot compared to my GPS..

it never acts up..ill be tackling the troubleshooting when its not snowing..im guessing something is wacky between the speedo and ECU

Thanks for the idea though. :)

as far as I know, the speed sensor on the diff is ABS related only. the speedometer gets its signal from the transfer case (4 wheel drive) or the transmission (2 wheel drive). I'm going to guess that since your cruise control does not work, it's the speed signal amplifier, that's not its exact name, but it's super close.

Removing the cluster from a 94/95 is CAKE. two screws at the bottom corners of the lower trim piece, the one with the pocket on the left, and four or five "pop" clips at the top. 4 screws hold the black trim piece in place, the lower two are exposed once the lower trim piece is gone. and four screws hold the cluster in. the 94/95 get an electronic signal from the speedo gear, so there are just four plugs on the back of the cluster, no cable going to the cluster.

yep the round dash cluster is electronic

in the mechanical clusters the speed sensor is behind the speedometer

in the electrical clusters the speed is directly taken from the transfer case gear (replaces the mechanical cable on older models)

• Like 1