6 disc player in '04 fried?

iPath

I had the same problem on my 01, except then it did the whole err2 message...so I bought a remanufactured one, and it did it too within 6 months...tells me they are crap. I got my Kenwood installed now, so I would recommend just putting an aftermarket deck in there, just make sure if you don't want to rewire everything you get the wiring kit that is for the Bose system, if you have that option. I personally had to rewire mine to get the volume I was looking for, but most would have been satisfied with the stock amps running those speakers, my fronts are aftermarket, so it wasn't quite utilizing their potential. Now that I have rewired everything, it sounds awesome, be even better if I added an amp. I would try the CD lens cleaner first, but more than likely, you are going to have to replace. Seems to be a common problem with the factory HU.

I think some dude on eBay refurbishes the stock 6CD changers and corrects the inherent flaws so it won't break again (at least not in the same fashion). I dunno if he still offers his services, though.

Edited by Towncivilian

this is most likely a lens issue. this happens with every laser disc system. It isn't necessarily because "the stock HUs are crap". It is most likely dust or there may be a problem with some of the mechanisms. I fix Xboxs, PS2s, PS3s as a tiny side business, and I have fixed cd players, stereos, computer disc drives, etc over the years.

A few things have to happen for proper function

The disc has to spin. This is a major problem. The lens can be perfect. The disc can be perfect. The laser can be spot on. If the disc doesn't spin then there is something not getting a connection. The rubber belt that spins the ...spinner could not be in place. hair could have wrapped itself around the axle that spins.

The lens has to be able to move. A spring or a belt drive could be out of place. When a disc drive starts up the lens ALWAYS starts in the middle and moves outward. If this doesn't happen then the disc won't read.

I don't want to teach you a class or anything haha. If it was me, I would tear it apart and just observe if the necessary operating actions are taking place. If you aren't into that, then try to get an aux input for your ipod or something. Getting an aftermarket headunit is a good idea. A good one is like $50.

• 2 months later...

After paying $40 for a stereo place to diagnose the problem they quoted $400 something for the repair. :wackinit:

lol... $400. that joke is even funnier than the $40 diagnosis. GTFO "stereo shop".

Just get a new headunit. You can get a really good sony headunit for like $60.