3000rpm

bonehead

i swear there was a topic on this but i can't find it so i guess i'll ask it again. my 91 pathy bogs and missfires @ 2800-3000rpm and will not go pass that. i changed my dizzy, rotor, plugs, wires, feul filter and feul pump also cleaned the MAF. what else can i look into that might be the problem :scratchhead:

If your engine computer thinks your engine is knocking because of the knock sensor, then yes, the engine will perform poorly. The knock sensor is held on by a single bolt, and has a single electrical connector, BUT it is under the lower intake manifold, so either you have to do a lot of disassembly to get to it, do a lot of wiggling from the rear, or bypass/relocate it by disconnecting upstream.

I suppose it's also possible that the sensor is working properly and is retarding engine performance to prevent knock... but probably you just have a bad sensor.

well i relocated the knock sensor and the code went 55 but the truck still runs like crap. could it be the oil?? i had it changed at a lube shop befor all this happend and it started runnin like crap the next day. i think they put 5w30 is that to thin? i usely use 10w30 on all other cars.

Edited by bonehead

5W-30 is fine. You want as thin as possible, but as thick as necessary when it comes to engine oil (and of course within the manufacturer's recommendations - don't run a 0W-20 in a VQ35, for example).

Just a random idea, maybe disconnect the negative battery terminal to reset the ECU and see what happens?

What octane of gas you use won't affect it. It is designed to run on 87.

The reason I was asking is because some states offer as low as 85 octane fuel (considered safe for higher altitudes), which isn't very good for this particular engine.

Here is something to try: Unplug the battery for a minute and plug it back in. See if it runs good for the first few minutes while it gets up to temp.