Gearhead Game

iceageg

I just bought my first Pathy and I'm new to the forum. I started a welcome thread with more details so I won't go into much about that here. While not related to Pathfinders or Nissans, I do have a gearhead game of name that part to offer. Check out the image below and identify the parts. Be as specific as you can and describe the purpose of each if possible. Bonus points if you can identify what the parts are on. If you have read my welcome thread it shouldn't be difficult to figure that part out, but some of the parts themselves should still be a challenge to explain in detail. I'll keep a running tab of which parts have been identified. No, points won't be kept track of and aren't redeemable for anything. Just for fun.

Silverton, no getting the answers from another forum and cheating . . .

So far . . .

A = Correct, not much more to say about it.

B = Correct, but not like any you've seen before. More details anybody?

C = Correct, but a very unique one. More details anybody?

D = Incorrect. It is a manifold pressure line but it has nothing to do with the boost controller.

E = Correct, but with a very unique design. More detials anybody?

F = Correct, but the shape is very purposeful. More details anybody?

cirrustest.jpg

Edited by iceageg

A - Supercharger

B - Boost Controller

C - BOV

D - Manifold pressure line for boost controller

E - Intake manifold

F - Air box

A = Correct, not much more to say about it.

B = Correct, but not like any you've seen before. More details anybody?

C = Correct, but a very unique one. More details anybody?

D = Incorrect. It is a manifold pressure line but it has nothing to do with the boost controller.

E = Correct, but with a very unique design. More detials anybody?

F = Correct, but the shape is very purposeful. More details anybody?

No, it is not a Wrangler. Not a Jeep at all in fact. Not quite over in 1. Lots more detail still available. Let the game continue!

This game is too hard. I thought it was going to be Nissan parts. You said you were into adding boost to aircraft so that gave away most of it. I'm not familiar enough with these systems to provide any more educated guesses.

Does "C" have a built in duck call or something :tongue:

How can you think this game is too hard. You got almost all of the basic questions correct. Its not supposed to be easy. Its supposed to challenge how you think those parts should work and work with eachother. And no, subjecting any of those parts to impact with a duck will provoke a very negative response to their operation. Especially those labeled "C".

Bonus question + Correct - It is an airplane, but you can provide a lot better detail than that.

*hint on C* think ambient.

Edited by iceageg

why does E split 4 different ways? What is the little spider looking thing right next to it?

I figured jeep because of the curved hood on the sides.

Actually, it splits 6 different ways, and "why" is the detail that I am hoping somebody will guess at and eventually get right. The little spider looking thing splits fuel from the one incoming fuel line out to the six fuel injectors. Old school mechanical fuel injection system. Still very high tech by aviation standards.

Well the intake manifold splitting to each of the six cylinders is the equivalent of the intake runners on our FI engines. D and or C could also be controlling a fuel pressure regulator. The airplane is a Cirrus SR22 (given away by the image file name), the powerplant is the Continental IO-550, the blower is made by vortech (V-1 S-Trim). A better picture or maybe a couple more angles would be nice to get a feel for the interaction of the components.

Well the intake manifold splitting to each of the six cylinders is the equivalent of the intake runners on our FI engines. D and or C could also be controlling a fuel pressure regulator. The airplane is a Cirrus SR22 (given away by the image file name), the powerplant is the Continental IO-550, the blower is made by vortech (V-1 S-Trim). A better picture or maybe a couple more angles would be nice to get a feel for the interaction of the components.

I had to edit the hint in the previous post. C had nothing to do with the fuel system, I was thinking about the D parts. Fail on my part. C is a specific type of BOV as already answered. D is certainly fuel related, but has no association with D other than they both reference manifold pressure (taken from differen places in the duct work).

The split intake manifold is similar to the runners in the FI engines, just taken to the next level. The runners are each designed to be an exact length. The idea is to get a single throttle body to perform similar to ITBs with velocity stacks. Since aircraft engines are usually run at a single RPM for 90%+ of their life it is easier and more practical invest the time in tuning the intake. The result sort of looks like equal-length headers on an intake.

The blower itself is based very closely on a Vortech V-1. The produce that exact unit for us, to our specs. That exact blower is not in their catalog. It is an SR-22 with an IO-550-N engine. Bonus question answered. Still lots of "outside the box" stuff to identify. Keep up the good work.

• 5 weeks later...

One last hint to see if there are any gearheads out there with as warped an "outside the box" way of thinking that I do. The design of the supercharger system in the picture is a normalizer. In general this type of system has a very different set of benefits and drawbacks compared to traditional turbo/super charging systems. Other than the reason for the single throttle body/six intake runners, the rest of the remaining answers are related to the concept fo normalizng.

Or let it go dead and I will eventually share the ansers. But its more fun to try.

The point wasn't specifically to make people think about aircraft engines, rather to think about power production on the whole and how different methods of producing power can be used cross-platform. Aviation piston engines are WAY behind the technology curve for many reasons (some good, some not so good). As a result they have been forced to adopt different technologies as a means to increase power and reliability. Most people are unaware of the differences between the two. This is my small attempt at bridging that gap.

I encourage questions about why and/or what each piece is. If you think you are close please venture a guess.