Flowmaster 40

ennacac

I just had to replace the muffler on my 1989 Pathfinder as the Nissan muffler finally gave it up to rust!

I purchased a Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler 2.25" 42441 and it fit perfectly, with just a bit of modification. I cut the old muffler off and had two reducers made at the local muffler shop, 2 1/4" OD on one end and 1 7/8" ID on the other end. The 2 1/4" end fit perfectly inside the Flowmaster and the 1 7/8" end fit perfectly over the original exhaust pipe just like it was made for the application.

The sound is great, and I am on the road again for $60!

Tom

Edited by ennacac

I have never had a Flowmaster 50, but had a 40 on an Xterra for over three years with no issues with police because of the sound being too loud. The 40 on my Pathfinder sounds pretty tame compared to my Altima with a Magnaflow system, although it is not as quiet as the stock Nissan muffler was before it fell apart, after which it became extremely loud.

Tom

:aok:

I switched to a Flowmaster 50 but now seem to be getting more attention from the local police when I launch in front of their cruisers. :lol:

I actually wonder which is louder. A 2.25" Flowmaster 40 (2 chamber) or a 2.50" Flowmaster 50 (3 chamber). The one extra chamber will make a muffler quieter but the diameter of the pipe will definitely amplify the noise. I pretty much have it 2.50" all the way back without any resonators.

When I had my 01 dakota with the 4.7 V8 I put a cat back on it from flowmaster that included a delta flow 50 series muffler, 2.5" in single 3" out, I went with single out because I had read a larger single pipe makes more HP than 2 smaller pipes, anyway the 50 series was louder than stock but not louder enough for my tastes (I wasn't looking for something obnoxious just wanted it to sound good), so I ordered a 40 series and had it swapped in for the 50 and it sounded 100 % better, still not over the top but I think the cat back kit should have came with the 40 instead of the 50. The delta flow 50 series was also much longer than the 40.

As to Nissan applications on my 87 hardbody with no cat and 2.25" stainless pipe from the cat back (well from the test pipe back I should say), I originally had a flowmaster, (there were no series numbers for the mufflers back than as when I had it put on flowmaster had just become available). The flowmaster sounded real good but it evenutally cracked on the bottom, and working in a 4x4 shop and getting a mega discount I than switched to a Supertrapp which was ok for a while but a pain in the butt to adjust. From there I switched to a Borla SS muffler and that was still on the truck when I traded it in for the dakota.

So having had both the 40 and 50 series flowmasters I would have to say the 40's are def louder but depending on what they are used on would effect how loud they would be.

There is a video on here of my hardbody in 4 low with the Borla and I think it sounded pretty good.

OP said the stock pipe is only 1 7/8?? I didn't think it was that small

Just a suggestion we should have a topic with just exhaust sound clips so others can hear the differences between the different setups people are running.

Edited by ahardb0dy

1.875"

I'm running a 40 series on mine, sounds great until 4K then it changes frequency and becomes tinny till redline. Not thinking that's normal though, I've heard another Nissan with one that didn't do it.

Exhaust tone is like paint... everyone has their own taste. Having no brand loyalty I have a Thrush on mine with homemade piping from the y-pipe back, it's obnoxious but no doubt its me coming up the road before you see me.

I know there's a couple wd21 exhaust videos floating around as well but can see a 'dedicated' exhaust video thread going off topic, becoming full of depth-less "nice :aok: " posts, and/or just having random non-Pathfinder videos jammed in it kinda quickly...