problem with my 4x4

bluntmancv

sometimes in the winter when i start up my pathfinder and its in 4x4 and i start to drive if i stop at a red light and try to push on the gas its will hesitate and the rpms go really high and it feels like it wants to go but it doesn't then it will kick in and be fine usually after like 15 min of driving it will go back to normal sometimes it doesn't even do it but my question is what is wrong with it and what to i have to do to fix it i wanna try to get it done asap because where i live in winter i need my 4x4 to work

2003 pathfinder se

• 4 weeks later...

Mine sometimes twitches out a little in winter, but it's more with the engine being cold. When it starts getting wicked cold I duct tape a piece of cardboard over half the grille, this helps it heat up more quickly. Sounds more like a trans issue in your case, though... and it doesn't do this in 2x?

Sounds to me like you have some sort of transmission/transfer case fluid issue. Does it operate normally in the warmer months?

I am thinking the same. I would check the fluid in the transfer case and the front differential. If it hasnt been done before you are probably getting close to needing to change the fluids in the transfer case and the front and rear differentials anyways.

ya im gonna go and get all the fluids changed tommorow see if that works. no it doesn't do it in 2x and in the summer i have took it off roading a few times and it worked fine but i did get hung up once pretty bad maybe i could have damaged my transfer case? if i needed to replace it how much do u think it would cost?

ya im gonna go and get all the fluids changed tommorow see if that works. no it doesn't do it in 2x and in the summer i have took it off roading a few times and it worked fine but i did get hung up once pretty bad maybe i could have damaged my transfer case? if i needed to replace it how much do u think it would cost?

LOL. a lot. Transfer cases are pretty expensive. On top of that, they aren't easy to change. This isn't just "oh, i broke my transfer case. let me go buy another one from Advance Auto and change it out in 5mins". This isn't an oil change or anything.

Unless you use it like everyday..all the time, I would just leave it alone. It kinda sounds like you use it a lot though. Changing a transfer case involves taking your transmission out, unbolting the transfer case from the transmission, and installing a new one.

Swapping out the transmission and transfer case as one whole unit is a lot easier. I would go to a junkyard and find a wrecked pathfinder from your generation and buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

ya i changed the fluid and it seems to be running fine but it still pretty warm for this time of year where i am so well see once it gets colder. i hope i dont have to change it lol didnt know it was that much work shows how much i know but my friend has the same generation he proably selling soon if i have to ill buy his thanks for the help.