HVAC control lights

HitMan

Anyone ever have this problem? The blower controller has the light out. I took it apart thinking it would just need a new bulb but it seems to be all one piece. Anyone ever replace the light?

It's possible to replace both the manual and auto HVAC control bulbs with LEDs (or just new incandescent bulbs, doesn't matter). See here for auto units. For the manual control units, all you need to do is unscrew the control unit and push it down and out of the double DIN area where the radio would go and replace the bulbs using some pliers to twist the bases.

Edited by Towncivilian

It's possible to replace both the manual and auto HVAC control bulbs with LEDs (or just new incandescent bulbs, doesn't matter). See here for auto units. For the manual control units, all you need to do is unscrew the control unit and push it down and out of the double DIN area where the radio would go and replace the bulbs using some pliers to twist the bases.

It's a manual control. I did take it apart, but it seems the light and individual controller are one piece. So the controller just un-screws off? I didn't want to break it so I just put it back together for another day to look at.

I don't know if this is what you meant. But hope this helps. There are two clips at the top, three at the bottom. I used the smallest flat head screw driver to get the clip out. Just be gentle so you don't break any of it.

http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dududuckling/How%20to%20change%20ac%20unit%20bulbs/

Edited by dududuckling

I don't know if this is what you meant. But hope this helps. There are two clips at the top, three at the bottom. I used the smallest flat head screw driver to get the clip out. Just be gentle so you don't break any of it.

http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/dududuckling/How%20to%20change%20ac%20unit%20bulbs/

yeah I didn't even think about taking the front off. I just assumed it would be behind. Where did you get those bulbs? They look awesome by the way. helps get rid of the 90's look. Do the knobs just snap off as well? I went through all the pictures but some comments would be nice of the process. Where could I get some bulbs like that?

I think the knob just snaps off. Again, go easy from the side. I broke one off, glued the inside back together, and stuffed the knob back in. Been working fine, no problem. You can get it from www.autolumination.com or http://www.superbrightleds.com/ The bulb is #74 if I'm not mistaken, someone correct me if I'm wrong. And its the same bulb for the speedometer as well.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F74-xHP3.html

Edited by dududuckling

I didn't need to pop the knobs off. As I said, I pulled out the stereo cluster like so, unscrewed the HVAC controls, pushed it toward the front of the car and under to access it from the now-empty stereo cluster area, and used pliers to twist the bases and swap the bulbs. Much easier and less chance of breaking stuff.

th_IMG_0585.jpg th_IMG_0586.jpg th_IMG_0588-1.jpg th_IMG_0590.jpg th_IMG_0591.jpg th_IMG_0594.jpg th_IMG_0596.jpg

Yes, the bulbs are #74. I have two 74-CWHP3 in my HVAC controls, they look a little yellow in person:

th_IMG_0644.jpg

• Like 1

Sure that's another way to do it. As for me, I didn't take the stereo off. So I had to take the knobs off, so that the face plate can come off. The bulbs were hidden behind the plate.

Towncivilian - The leds look good! :aok:

Edited by dududuckling

The light blue is cool white if you see the pics. So between that and blue (or dark blue), I'd go for dark blue. But its personal preference, hahaha...

PS: Dude, where about in Michigan do you live??? I should update my location to Rochester Hills... I go to school in Detroit.

Edited by dududuckling

My LEDs are cool-white tri-SMD for a 360 degree viewing angle - specifically these.

dududuckling, your rear defroster switch has a dead bulb. As you can see in my pic, I tried fitting an LED in there but it didn't go so well with regards to viewing angle. If the damn switch wasn't impossible to reassemble I'd put a stock bulb back in there.

Edited by Towncivilian

The light blue is cool white if you see the pics. So between that and blue (or dark blue), I'd go for dark blue. But its personal preference, hahaha...

PS: Dude, where about in Michigan do you live??? I should update my location to Rochester Hills... I go to school in Detroit.

I'm outside of Novi. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go ahead and order some bulbs. Is it just as easy to replace the dash bulbs while I'm at it?

I'm outside of Novi. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go ahead and order some bulbs. Is it just as easy to replace the dash bulbs while I'm at it?

Yep. To access the instrument cluster, undo the two screws, pull the black trim surrounding the cluster out, undo the four screws holding the cluster in, and you have access to the cluster. Depending on how small your hands are, you may not even need to remove the cluster to access the twist bases. I didn't, in my case.

I replaced the five illumination (one for each gauge, and one for odometer) bulbs with the aforementioned and linked tri-LED SMD bulbs. See pictures here. If you wish to replace any of the indicator lamps, you will get the best results from obtaining LEDs with the same color as the actual item - i.e. the oil pressure and battery lamps have red filters, so get a red LED; if you use a white LED, you will end up with pink.