Rear clunking noise?

statikuz

I searched the hell out of this one but I must be missing the one thread that talks about it. Anytime I turn, either direction, I can hear a clunk from the rear end, for instance if I'm driving straight and do some NASCAR-style tire warming it goes clunk clunk clunk clunk each time I turn. I checked around back there, everything seems to be tightened down, its not the tire carrier or stuff bouncing around in the back. Any ideas on what the problem could be or what I should check? Thanks! This is thoroughly annoying... :blink:

I thought it was all or some of those as well on mine.

Turns out I had/have a broken exhaust mount in the backl an dit was llowing it to bang on my running boards.

I removed the boards and the knocking went away.

Try the simple stuff first.

Mine does this...or ~maybe~ a different noise....I always assumed that it was limited slip rear diff making the clunking/groaning noises? Maybe someone before me installed an automatic locker!

Admittedly I know very little about lockers/LSD but I used to read a Dodge Ramcharger forum where guys were always talking about installing lockers, and how they made disconcerting noises when you drove on pavement.

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty... I thought it might be the body mount bolts cuz it sounded like the lift blocks were sliding around just enough to make noise but that wasn't the case... I had the tire guy crank them down and he said they were already tight. Any other thoughts? It's weird, because if I turn, say, left, it clunks, but then if i continue to turn left, it's quiet until I turn right... almost like something is sliding over, getting stopped, then sliding back the other direction...