Inspecting/greasing suspension/steering on '93 SE

deanpence

My Pathfinder is making squeaking sounds that seem to be associated with both the suspension and steering. Any slightest bump or dip makes a ton of squeaking, and steering does too. I hate to admit that I didn't know it was worth checking out ASAP until now.

In advance of going out for a new floor jack, jack stands, lithium grease, and a grease gun, I've been doing a little research on what I need to inspect and grease to hunt down this problem—and what I need to do anyway while I've got it jacked up. I couldn't find a comprehensive list, but this is what I've been able to find so far:

Front suspension:

• Check all bushings.
  • Check and grease upper and lower balljoints.
  • Check and grease balljoints on the steering linkage (6 of them?).
  • Check and grease the idler arm.
  • Check the steering stops.

Front axle (while I'm under there):

• Check for back-and-forth play of tires for wheel bearing problems.
  • Check for side-to-side play of tires for steering linkage problems.

Driveshafts: (while I'm down there)

• Grease sleeve yoke if there's a fitting.
  • Grease U-joints if there's a fitting.

Rear suspension:

• Check all bushings.

Can anyone think of anything else or correct me on anything? Another (old) thread mentioned checking the sway bars, but I must know them by a different name. What are they?

I can't help with what to grease, but I know what sway bars are. :) They're also called anti-roll bars, they run from one side of the suspension to the other, and bolt to the frame in the middle through bushings. There's one in the front and one in the back. For the truck to lean, they have to flex. (A lot of people take them out for better flexing over obstacles.)

If it's been squeaking a while, you may have excessive wear on something. When it's in the air, check anything that moves for excessive play. If you see bare metal, it may be rubbing there. Also check for any loose bolts, if something's loose it can make a ton of noise.

Good luck figuring it out!

Edited by Slartibartfast