Exhaust bolts

Pbpredator

Fused... I cant get them off... :/ don't know what to do... and I'm just talking about on the exhaust its self not the manifold or anything. I sprayed them with pb blaster and I'm gonna wait and try again some other time...

I Couldn't figure a way to break em because the socket kept slipping off the heads... I personally Don't have a grinder... My girlfriends stepfather has a workshop fully equipped with pretty much every tool so I'm sure he has one... but Ive never personally used a grinder either... Also I noticed the bolts were all very much different sizes? when I replace I should just use the m8x1.25 30's though?

when I replace I should just use the m8x1.25 30's though?

Sorry, that is the size for the manifold bolts which is what most people ask about. I don't know the size of the other bolts, my stock exhaust is long gone... :shrug:

The largest that fits is a good bet and stainless might be a good idea up in your area.

B

Sorry, that is the size for the manifold bolts which is what most people ask about. I don't know the size of the other bolts, my stock exhaust is long gone... :shrug:

The largest that fits is a good bet and stainless might be a good idea up in your area.

B

Yeah I don't have stock stock exhaust exactly either... a friend of mine was gonna replace it so he cut it off... and realized he couldn't complete the job... so I went to a muffler shop and had them weld everything back together. but we did manage to replace the exhaust tip... but the cat, muffler and everything else is stock... so I need to find out what size bolts would be the best replacement... I guess I will just have to figure out how to get them off and take them to work to purchase replacements. Really hoping this freeze off stuff works... I did buy the studs needed for the manifold job... if I can get the exhaust parts off this weekend I'll be ready to replace the studs and manifold gaskets and etc. I only bought 6 studs but if I need more I'll just grab some more later...

975335827_photobucket_59193_.jpg i lied they are the same size but I swore I used a 12 on some and a 13 on others... anyways... I can't find replacement studs that are equal to either of these? Don't know where I need to go to get them? Any ideas?

Yeah. I mean, you could buy some redi rod and cut them yourself, or get some fastener place to make them up. If it were me I would upgrade to the Z studs, or use a very good grade of redi rod, or upgrade to M10 and use either the VG33 studs or make your own. Anyway, M10 options require drilling and tapping obviously...

Or you could just get some bolts, but, caveat emptor...

2011-09-26_16-57-51_826.jpg

Ok so this is the only stud that is the same size and length (the one on the left) but the lengths of the threads are different... does this matter?

Well, it could matter... if these are M8 studs, then IF THE HEAD WERE STEEL, you could probably get away with about 1 cm of engagement. But since it is not, you need to multiply by the ratio of material strengths. I really don't know what type of aluminum the head is made out of, or what kind of steel the studs are made of, but it could easily be a factor of 3. Now, I don't think the holes are even 3 cm deep, but this means I'd worry about using something with less thread engagement in the head than stock. And I've torn the threads out of a head with a stock stud :)

On the other end, where you put on the nut, all that matters is: no part of the unthreaded region sticks past the washer, and at least some part of the stud sticks past the end of the nut when you start tightening.

To be honest? For the extra cost, and it is excessive for studs, I'd go with the dealer Z studs. Its tested, proven to work, right size, and you'll have piece of mind later that the new ones wont break. Just my :my2cents:

Edited by Dowser