junk yard build R 50 for Off Road

97bruw

I have to believe that thier are some Junk yard regulars on here that "Know" what we need to be lookin for to get our R50s down the trail like the Jeepers do with lockers & front diff mods..let me in on some of the "GOOD" stuff or where to source accurate info. Dont wanna say it...but I think I shoulda got a Cherokee...lol...start the hate mail& secret stash mail. thx all you Guys n Gals..;)

Define the type of trail/off roading you plan on doing. It makes are real difference. Mud, rock crawling, forest service roads/trails are all very different with very different requirements.

For example my R50 is basically stock better springs (OME), larger diameter tires 16 vs 15, manual transmission and open rear diff. I travel long distances (100 to 300km a weekend) on forest service roads some of which are barely goat tracks with no problems. It is more difficult in the fall and winter with rain and snow and steeper climbs but still doable.

This setup is useless for mud and climbing large obstacles,but works fine everywhere else.

It's unlikely you'll find any junkyard R50's with anything except stock front diffs. R50's only came equipped with a pair of open diffs, or a rear limited slip. If you do decide to get larger-diameter tires (31" or more), you will probably want to swap in 4.636:1 differential gears from a junkyard R50 (usually SE models), since the LE came with 4.363:1 gears intended for use with small (28") tires.

The rear limited slip isn't suitable for heavy duty off-road use, though it works OK in gravel, mud, light snow or rain.

I have heard it said that the only thing a locker will do is get you stuck further down the trail. I believe that locking diffs, due to their expense, should be among the last mods you make to an R50.

Tires, suspension mods, rocker-panel protection, and recovery accessories (tow strap, come-along, hi-lift jack, winch, etc.) should be first.

Like rgallant asked, what type of off-roading do you plan to use your R50 for?

trail riding with alot of creek crossings that have steep banks that require a angle approach and lifting a tire or 2...so really looking for a front Limited Slip to help crawl up insted of the get a good run at it method...a run at it isnt a option on alot of these hills n crossings. I have 31 BFGs on now and they are really good. Anyways what Im tryin to get is some good sources for part interchange on some of the different Nissan models(car diffs w/factory LSD..cam grinds in different models....that sorta thing. I have always had MOPAR hot rods and had to make stuff work.....why should Pathy be any different..lol. Thanks alot and keep me pointed in the right direction fellas.Later

The only daily driveable locker is the ARB locker which is alot of money down the drain. Any mechanical locker will be a pain to daily drive cause more tire wear and noise. If you only go off road every now and then do the lsd repack....it supposedly takes the stock breakaway from around 80ftlbs to 250ftlbs....thats plenty for what you plan on doing.

have seen some vague info that some 300s and 240sx have the same model rear as the front diff of the R50...they have torsen type LSDs ...dont know about bearing size ..spline count etc etc...any body know more?

trying to keep to the junk yard theme of the topic....if I find an ARB in the scrappers Ill certainly grab it..lol..but I know there are some parts Im gonna have to get new..Struts..coils..but may luck into some manual hubs. Have thought of the welded open diff...but thats a absolute last resort. Goin off topic sorta...pull up MadRam11.com on Youtube to see a idea of what Im not expecting my Pathy to do..lmao..this guys a aquaintance of mine with deep pockets...and plays accordingly. Keep the posts coming guys plz n thank you