broken stud dilemma

PATHRIDER

ok guys ive done the broken stud removal 3 times already (probably a total of 8 broken studs in 3 diffrent pathy)and all with success but this time the stud just wont come out and i ended up making the center hole on the bolt bigger and bigger because the easy out is just chewing the heck out of the broken bolt but wont come out

now the center hole is so big its almost the size of the hole where the bolt threads to. I think I stripped the threaded on the engine block

Has anyone used heli coil? Im scared to drill any deeper and hit the water jacket

any suggestions guys

If you are just removing the standard 8 mm studs, then there is still a bunch of room left. You can drill and tap for 10 mm for instance. Helicoil would also work presumably.

If you can drill a small hole down the centre of the bolt and then slowly increase the size of drill bit, eventually there won't be any stud left. Then you can drill and tap for helicoil or larger size. But this requires you to be able to drill the stud straight.

You can also apply some heat around the area that the stud is located. There may be thread locker (Loc-tite) that was applied to the stud before it was instaled. Sewbster is correct in gradually increasing the drill size until thers very little of the stud remaining. Wrap a peice of tape arond the the drill bit at the desired depth to use as a guage to prevent you from drilling too deep. Once a majority of the stud has been drilled out and removed. Take a small pick and strart picking out the remainng stud and threads. I have drilled them out to the point of actually having the remaining bolt or stud come out as a coil after fishing the threads out with the pick. Then make sure you clean the original threaded hole out with the appropriate sized tap.

A hand held propane or mapp gas torch works pretty good for applying heat. Move the flame around in a circular motion on the OUTSIDE of the stud hole. The idea is to get the mtal around the stud to expand and release the thread locker.

Go slow with drill speed and take your time using very sharp drill bits.

Hope that helps.

Keith

If you can drill a small hole down the centre of the bolt and then slowly increase the size of drill bit, eventually there won't be any stud left.

This. Once you have drilled all the way through, the stud should be much looser and can be easyouted otherwise you increase the drill size until it comes ou or there is nothing left. Left handed drill can help tremendously also...

B

Thanks for the input guys.after a close examination of my screw up I discovered that the hole for the easy out on the broken stud wasnt centered so everytime I try to twist is counterclockwise the easy out is grabbing the threaded part of the engine block too , i guess i was just so tired yesterday when i started working on it. I usually do this kind of projects real eraly in the morning.

Well I didnt let it win . I went ahead and did the helio coil route

Heres a few pics fellas

With this arsenal on hand I better win this battle lol

dsc03303o.jpg

dsc03308p.jpg

dsc03309h.jpg

dsc03311v.jpg

This wasnt so bad after all. one tool that made things a heck of a lot easier is a swivel socket, even on a non lifted pathy the swivel socket works awesome. I used to use swivel joints before. If anyone is doing their manifold project I suggest investing on swivel socket and a craftsman easy out. by the way the 2 broken stud was on the passenger side closest to the firewall..On the drivers side I have 4 broken stud but the craftsman easy out it was a breeze pulling them out.

Keith I was about to call you yesterday but couldnt find my darn phone :rofl:

B I got your headlight connectors a 4 spindle bolts..Sorry bud those are the only things i could grab at the time.Got to the jy late and while my buddy was trying to yank the torque converter out i was pulling spindle nuts out..by the way the transmission problem i have wasnt the transmission, it was the torque converter

Edited by PATHRIDER

Why would that be, I have bolts holding my headers on. Studs are for girls and :gay:

:lol:

B I got your headlight connectors a 4 spindle bolts..Sorry bud those are the only things i could grab at the time.Got to the jy late and while my buddy was trying to yank the torque converter out i was pulling spindle nuts out..by the way the transmission problem i have wasnt the transmission, it was the torque converter

Err, I needed the spindle nuts...

Sorry, but I didn't hear from you and I needed another tranny cooler so I went to the JY myself. I grabbed the nuts but no pigtails. I think Nunya is sending me what he has...

Thanks for trying, do I owe you anything??

So you replaced the torque converter and the problem is solved now?? :aok:

B