Oh hai... I'm new... let me introduce myself :D

PerlNinja

Hi folks,

Stumbled over this website the other day after trying to dig up some info so figured I'd register. A little about me: I'm 34 (oh yeah...), Dutch by birth, have lived in the USA for a few years and have been living in Indonesia for the last 4 years. Married, one kid (currently 5 months old... he's awesome), and I spend my days being a freelance IT geek for hire.

I'm the happy owner of a 2002 Nissan Terrano. Yes, no @!*%, 2002. Apparently they kept producing D21 based Terrano's in Indonesia up until 2006. It came equipped with a Z24 engine (no, not the Z24i, the Z24. Carburator and all...). 2WD, although I could've sworn it used to be a 4WD but has undergone some... modifications. The car's history is blurry, it's apparently been owned by 2 other people before me, but it's running like a champ still.

I basically figured I'd bug you people with odd questions about this car, given that it's body style and most of the equipment seems to be equivalent to a late 80's Pathfinder, and nobody around here except the Nissan dealer seems to know anything about these cars. Even the dealer is a bit of a dodgy thing since they tried sticking Xterra parts on it some time ago...

Anyway I digress. Hi everyone!

Hi folks,

Stumbled over this website the other day after trying to dig up some info so figured I'd register. A little about me: I'm 34 (oh yeah...), Dutch by birth, have lived in the USA for a few years and have been living in Indonesia for the last 4 years. Married, one kid (currently 5 months old... he's awesome), and I spend my days being a freelance IT geek for hire.

I'm the happy owner of a 2002 Nissan Terrano. Yes, no @!*%, 2002. Apparently they kept producing D21 based Terrano's in Indonesia up until 2006. It came equipped with a Z24 engine (no, not the Z24i, the Z24. Carburator and all...). 2WD, although I could've sworn it used to be a 4WD but has undergone some... modifications. The car's history is blurry, it's apparently been owned by 2 other people before me, but it's running like a champ still.

I basically figured I'd bug you people with odd questions about this car, given that it's body style and most of the equipment seems to be equivalent to a late 80's Pathfinder, and nobody around here except the Nissan dealer seems to know anything about these cars. Even the dealer is a bit of a dodgy thing since they tried sticking Xterra parts on it some time ago...

Anyway I digress. Hi everyone!

:welcome:

A 2002 WD21 with a carburated Z24? We need pictures. This board is the best place for WD21 info, so you came to the right place.

Welcome! yea, some countries have d21/wd21s far past the 'normal' interval most of the world is used to, I believe Mexico had d21 based pickups up to 2006 (last time I had thoughts of shipping one at least, if I wasn't so cheap). Pics are a must around here, especially since if I remember right, you should have one of those odd (to the mainstream) front cosmetic trucks. There's a few 2wds round these parts so you ain't alone there and the z24 is a good reliable little smoker :aok:

@Trogdor:

Yeah for real, it's a carburated Z24 in a 2002 WD21 :) Here they're still called Terrano's, threw me for a loop when I was Googling :D

@nunya I think Indonesia ended up in the same situation as Mexico, and they were assembled locally. The VIN number is also mighty damn odd, not 17 digits either.

Anyways, pics wise I'm a bit low, only have one, posted below ... but I will take more later today if I remember right. Been up all night working so by the time I get up it's probably getting dark again :( As far as it goes though, the Z24 is a pretty good engine, a bit underpowered (90mph flat out though), but otherwise reliable as all hell. Does require some tender love and care from time to time but it pretty much accepts anything you throw at it.

Ok on to visuals and such:

Sitting in the carport @ home:

wtLOr.jpg

The instrument cluster:

Ey8fK.jpg

And for those of you who haven't got weak hearts, a really crappy made-with-cellphone video I made to show some friends what driving in Indonesia entails. I'll state beforehand that it looks like I'm tailgating, speeding, overtaking on the wrong side, and will say: yes, you are completely right. This is how 99.9% of Indonesians drive, and if you want to survive the roads here, you basically follow the "When in Rome..." principle. The wind you hear is because my window is open (was smoking a cig), and the exhaust is uh... well... it's got this Remus semi-fartcannon exhaust under it, courtesy of the previous owner. Being lazy and cheap, I left it on :D

Anyway, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hke0tGIlcE

Welcome PN!!

the Z24 is a pretty good engine, a bit underpowered (90mph flat out though), but otherwise reliable as all hell. Does require some tender love and care from time to time but it pretty much accepts anything you throw at it.

Agreed, I drove a 1984 pickup with the Z24 for years. Great motors, just weak, but I never tried to modify mine so I don't know what they can really do. :shrug:

And for those of you who haven't got weak hearts...

I'll state beforehand that it looks like I'm tailgating, speeding, overtaking on the wrong side, and will say: yes, you are completely right. This is how 99.9% of Indonesians drive, and if you want to survive the roads here, you basically follow the "When in Rome..." principle.

Well, I must admit that it looked like mainly you doing all that, but I'd still like to drive there. We have about that much traffic here at midnight!! :lol:

As for weak hearts, I've been riding street bikes for 25 years so that vid didn't make be blink. It looks more like a fun video game 10 years ago... :D

B

Are those white face gauges stock? I'm digging those. It makes sense Mexico still had a d21 based truck, since they still had the original bugs running around up until 2003 I think. As for the driving, that just looks like bay area (San Francisco) traffic to me.

Welcome. I'd love to see more pictures as well. the more the better. Some from all angles. I was also wondering if your model came with a cup holder in the ash tray location on the center console?