alternator

joeytattoo

ok i just repleced my battery and I think I'm over charging my voltage guage reads fine in traffic in town or at low speads but as soon as I get over 40 it climbs up the faster i go the higher it goes about 65 mph and shes at 18 amps ,or the guage is maxed out could this be becuuse I still have not replaced the voltage regulator that runs my gas and temp guage. :mellow:

You voltage regulator for your temp gauge isn't your overcharging problem, but your overcharging might be part of the cause of your temp gauge regulator going bad though. Sounds more like your alternator's regulator is bad. I'd get it fixed bfore you take out your ECU or other stuff. At 18v your pushing most of your electrical/electronics.

Denis

Guest audiosportconcepts

I had the same problem, it was charging at around 18 volts, and when i reved it up it would make both my amps go into protection, because rockford amps can only take up to 14.4 volts. Anyways, it was the alternators regulator, so you might want to have it rebuilt

Not to mention you can boil a battery that way, and thats not funny. I have literally seen batteries that are puffed up like a baloon; I don't have to explain the fun you will have if it were to burst. Don't be lazy, make this a priority !

Bernard

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys!

Well on my FIRST day of driving my new trail demon!

92 pathy v6, power everything, 5spd, AC

I noticed the Volmeter was reading 18v CONSTANTLY! :wtf:

So using a multimeter, i checked:

the battery engine off: 12.7v

the battery, engine running at idle: 14.? volts

the gauge reads 18v throughout my driving, and doesnt seem to change except when i turn off the truck!

I turned on a few things(AC,HL,etc), and the gauge dipped slightly with the engine running.

I was thinking that my dash gauge is messed up, cause 14v isnt that bad...

Is my gauge messed up or my voltage regulator in my alternator fried?

thanks much for yer input guys.

Al

thanks for the quick reply 88.

Whew! The gauge? Thank the gods! I was out and about today scrounging parts, and i was expecting my battery to explode or something! :lol:

can the stock gauge be repaired/adjusted in any way? or will i need to replace it?

So i went out today and picked up this Battery tester today fro $25 buck CDN!

Considering it has a 50 amp load tester on it, i thought it was a sweet deal!

The tester confirmed that everything is fine! :itsallgood:

see ya all on the trails, eh! :aok:

Al