car tire opinions

ahardb0dy

Hello all, I need to get some new tires for the Sentra, I have 195/50/15's on it and the current tires are Falken Ziex 512's, they seem pretty good but a bad alignment caused 2 to wear out on the edges. The alignment has been done but I called the local store where I bought them to see what they have in stock in this size and the guy is suggesting a Kumho Ecsta AST tire because they have a 40K tread wear warranty and he said the Falken's have no tread wear warranty at all, but the web site says they have a 30K TW warranty now. The tires are just used for my daily driver car, no racing (funny with a 90hp car !! LOL), or auto cross or anything. The major requirement I would like is good in the rain and they wear well, I try to rotate and balance every 3500 miles usually.

Price is a factor as well, cheaper is better, the Kumho's are $55 each the Falkens $65, but I was also looking at the next tire up which is a Yokohama S drive for $83 each,no tread wear warranty on these either. I don't have any experience with the Kumho brand, and only had Yokohamas in a truck tire way back (mud diggers very soft tread compound), so want to ask what you think of each of these 3 brands I mentioned?

They also show a Falken Ziex ZE-912 that is available in a couple days for $77 each with a 40K TW warranty.

Thanks

Look into some of the "off" brands as well with price being a factor and not lookin for a 3000mph rated tire. Ones like Nexan, Nankang,and WanLi's. On properly aligned cars with owners who care about their maintnance a little. I've seen them last just as long-if not longer as the "name brands", are generally made by them anyway, and are generally easier on the wallet (especially since your running 15's, not some stupid wide 18 with absolutely 0 sidewall)

Well I went thru all my receipts and found that 2 of the tires (falken 512's) have 40,495 miles on them, one has 15,178 and one has 15,134. The 2 lower mileage tires are not worn totally down just the edges which came from the bad alignment, I'm going to get 4 new one's probably on Monday. Most likely will be the Kumho's as they are the cheapest, hard to use reviews to gauge people's opinions of the tires as most like these but you get a few reviews from others that say they suck, of course everyone drives differently and live where there are different conditions. As I said my car had 90Hp new so probably has less than that now, all I do is drive to work and back or to the junkyard lot of highway mileage and due to all the rain we get down here wet traction is a top priority. In fact the only time I spin the front tires is when I know they are really worn and I will be replacing them otherwise I don't abuse them, actually the only time I can really spin them is when the road is wet! Tire noise doesn't really matter with my base model Sentra as it doesn't have any kind of insulation (except under the carpet) so I can hear everything.

But I'm still looking into which tire I am going to go with, thanks for the replies.

Bought 4 new tires today I went with the Kumho's, had the Falkens wanted to try something else and those were the only 2 they had in stock. Of course being brand new the car feels great, thundering out now but no rain yet, I'm sure tomorrow I will get to test the wet weather performance of them as it rains every afternoon down here now. I had the alignment done recently but may have another shop look at it, the left and right fronts look like they are not pointing the same way and one side looks like the tire is leaning in on the top more than the other, hard to say for sure with out it being on a level alignment rack. I actually took the car to 2 alignment shops, the first put the car on the machine and said the alignment was pretty close to being perfect except the camber was off and they wanted an additional $80 just to adjust the camber on top of the $60 for the alignment!! They said no charge for checking it so I told them thanks and was on my way. Second shop I don't trust what they did as they said I had worn tie rod ends ( I don't) and told me "we'll set it the best we can" I don't like those type of responses.

The first shop was one that the tire store used and recommended, found out today they no longer recommend them due to numerous complaints, they said they use another place and they have known this guy for a long time, going to call them tomorrow to find out what shop it is.