Anyone an electrician on here?Need help

ahardb0dy

Woman I'm trying to help has a single wide mobile home, 1984 model. Has no power to bedroom ceiling light and outlets, adjoining bathroom no power to ceiling light but outlet works, no power to hallway light or outside light. I checked the switch for the outside light no power to switch. She says all this is on one breaker which was replaced. All outlets and switches were replaced to normal home style outlets and switches. All connections at this breaker are tight and clean. Was wondering if there could be a problem at the outlet in the bathroom since it is the only thing that is working?? All these lights and outlets went out at one time and outlets and switches were all replaced AFTER this problem started. Wiring is copper, no GFCI outlet in bathroom, do not think they were required when trailer was built. Breakers were all tested to be ok and nothing is tripped or trips. Thanks

Edited by ahardb0dy

Sounds very similar to my apmt...gfci will cause that...here is what I would do...figure out what is on each breaker then whatever's not on anguish other breaker start at the closest outlet/light with a multimeter and once you find one That's not working and pull it out of the wall and check its connections...if one outlet goes bad or a gfci trips since house wiring is in series it kills everything downstream...

Hopefully its as simple as that...this is what happened in my apmt...only way I figured it out is the tv was on in the living room and when I plugged in my phone half the house died but the rest was still working and its all on 1 breaker except the kitchen...

Good luck hope that helps

No GFCI outlet, there may have been one but it might have been replaced with normal outlet. I'm not sure I know there is not a GFCI outlet in the bathroom. And I don't think the GFCI outlets were required until 1990. But I think starting at the outlet that is working may be the right place to start. Thanks

Yea doesn't matter if the gfci was removed...the physical gfci outlet is what causes the problem if there is one present BC it trips like a breaker to help prevent electrocutions...

We didn't have gfci in the apmt and That's what really threw me for a loop and the order that they wired the outlets was bass awkwards

...since house wiring is in series it kills everything downstream...

Exactly true, Id do what uncc suggested, series circuits are very simple to work with, get that multimeter and go to town.

I may go back and check the outlet in the bathroom tomorrow, We have a GFCI outlet here in our master bathroom and I know it also controls the outside outlet but it doesn't do every other outlet on the circuit.

Don't understand what you said, if the GFCI outlet was replaced with a normal outlet than the GFCI is totally out of the picture as the formerly GFCI protected outlet and any other outlets connected to it would also be non protected. I'll know more tomorrow. Also found a way to test a dead outlet using multimeter to determine if there is a hidden tripped GFCI outlet.