Exhaust manifold studs

sewebster

When I rebuilt my engine I drilled and tapped my heads for M10x1.5. Currently the manifolds are held on by bolts.

Studs can be better in theory because if you only turn the nut, then there will be no motion between the stud and head and less chance of the head being damaged over time.

However, what seems to always happen is that the nut gets stuck and you end up turning out the stud. Even if you use antiseize or whatever, there seems to be no particular reason why the nut should turn instead of the stud. What would I do to get the stud to stick? I don't really have the luxury of using an interference fit or anything (and that's even worse if the nut does actually seize).

I guess I'm probably ok with bolts as long as I keep using the torque wrench, so perhaps this is more of a theoretical question about getting studs to stay put. I'm not trying to reopen a studs vs bolts holy war.

Hmm, I guess that's 272 instead of 271. It still breaks down at 250C though. Is that hot enough to last? I'm not generally familiar with people putting loctite on their studs, but maybe everyone does this...

I figure it wouldn't really matter as long as the stud doesn't break. If the nut spins off, fine. If the nut is siezed and the stud backs out, you've effectively got a bolt. Just put the siezed nut/stud combo back in the same hole.