2003 LE with 201,023 miles - Oil consumption question

Hello,

I have a 2003 LE 4x4 with 201K miles. It runs well. It has the original exhaust and cats. I have maintained it very well. Over the last 30K-350K miles I have had to add at least 2-3 quarts between oil changes. There are no leaks, there is no smoke, either at start up or during acceleration. No codes, no check engine light, it runs just fine.

I have tried Lucas oil additive and it seems to work for a bit at stopping the consumption. I know I need new exhaust, maybe my old cats are trapping the smoke I would otherwise see?

I know that a little oil consumption is ok, but this just seems to be excessive. Has anyone else had an experience with this? I drive a lot each week, and I would like to get at least another 100K out of her.

Has anyone ever used any type of oil additive that actually stopped or at least significantly slowed the oil loss? I don't think anything in a can or bottle will replace worn cylinder walls or rings.

Stop using Lucas oil stabilizer, it's just 140wt gear oil that does nothing but thicken your oil.

Make sure your PCV valve and hose is not clogged. Take off the upper intake manifold and verify that all of the power valve screws are tight and none are missing; apply red threadlocker before buttoning it up. Read here for more info.

How frequent are your oil changes? If you go 5,000 miles, 2+ quarts of oil may be acceptable. I have the same year and engine as you and add at least 1.5 quarts per 3000 miles. It has been this way since about 60k. The 3.5 just seems to be an oil burner.

^ reading owns you he stated that all the pwv screws were there and tight,clogged pvc system would result in external leaking ie from v/c gasket or tube seals

I must be blind, I don't see where the OP said he checked the power valve screws.

Check your tail pipe, if you have black soot with a oily feel in there the cats are burning it up and it is coming through the exhaust system. On the earlier motor Nissan claims 1 liter per 1000 km is normal oil use on a high mileage (200000K+) engine.

VQ35s are notorious for consuming oil, even in the newer vehicles. There have been many complaints of them consuming a lot of oil at less than 80K miles

Edited by Kingman