Running Hard?

Reshma

i'll let you kids have a pissing match without me cause my 13yr ase master/asa certification dont mean @!*%, and maybe close my shop and sell my race car and buy a powerwheel.

There's no pissing match here, except for you coming into this thread with a condescending tone because no one believes you're right. Calm down.

Just gonna pop in here to say, Just because the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean there are not any codes.

Exactly. This is why I said to run the codes. Adam could be on track as well with a vacuum hose loose/cracked/gone.

• 2 months later...

Ok there 2 issues that will cause a high idle from my experience:

1. You need to get the engine cleaned. Last time I had a funny idle problem like you, I had to take the truck to a shop and have the engine cleaned up. I think they ran seafoam through it and changed the oil. They told me that it was the dirtiest they have seen in 15 years.

2. The throttle cable may have to be adjusted down a little. You may also want to check out the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

A popular problem that is very similar to yours, that I have been having is the erratic high idle 'whenever it wants to!' ...and mine is a 1990 5spd. We have narrowed it down to a crappy ground wire in the MAF

wire harness/connector at the MAF sensor. I cut my harness open, added a temporary ground wire to it (black wire in middle is ground...at least on the 1990's) and just ran it to the frame where another

ground already exists....and my wacked-idle issues are about 98% fixed. I say 98% because I did not solder or make a very permanent replacement wire....yet....so its not the greatest of patches at the moment...but

it sure idles more normally now!

Others in this group have had same problems and there is a pigtail adapter thing out there you can buy for around 20 bucks (if thats the problem with yours...)

I did all that seafoam junk and clean this and clean that but before you waste money trying fixes that will not work...check grounds first.

My thoughts are..if it was caused by gunk or blockage due to carbon or whatever build up....your idle would be very erratic and bouncing around a lot (stumbling) instead of a more smooth idle, just too high. To me that

sounds like a poor ground connection or loose connection since it is random at times.

(please don't believe all the 'magic in a bottle' add to your tank or oil 'fixes'. They've already been scientifically debunked as garbage. Only things I would consider and have used is fuel injection cleaner and seafoam,

but do NOT run the engine down the highway like the bottle says (seafoam) for a bunch of miles...its designed to break down oil and sludge, therefore breaking down GOOD oil too...so just let it idle and rev a few times

not under load. Seafoam is not a lubricant.)