Problems with reverse

So I have been having this intermitten problem with reverse with my pathy, It only happens when I am in 4WD. When I am on the trail or anywhere in 4WD and I go to reverse my engine stalls out and I have to restart, even if I rev it up before I put it in reverse it will stall out, this problem has been intermitten and I thought it was the tranny because it only happens when in reverse and when I am in 4WD, so I flushed the tranny and it still does it.... I have no clue what it could be but am going to try and run some sea foam through my engine. Any ideas? It is fine in 2WD and goes in reverse fine without any hesitation.

I need to change the gear oil, I plan on changing out all the gear oil when I get to TX just not enough time right now with still trying to get everything ready for the move and working full time. I just am at a loss of what it could be but am willing to try anything at this point.

if it was the t-case it wouldn't matter what gear you were putting it in, it would stall.

I'm going to guess something is up with your torque converter. Did you replace the filter when you flushed the trans?

It does it only sometimes but not as much when I am in drive than reverse, and it mostly does it when I am in reverse but it only does it in 4WD otherwise it drives perfect in 2WD with no problems.... which is why I believe it is the transfer case; I did replace the filter when I did the flush. I think it is the transfer case just 4WD gears and not 2WD since the majority of the time my truck is in 4wd because I dont DD it and it spends most of its time on the trail.... I found one on car-part.com for $100 and it has 98k on it so it should be good. I think I am going to change it and take apart the one I have and maybe rebuild it to use as a extra; you can never have too many extra parts. If it doesn't fix the problem then I need to start eliminating something else and start with the easiest and cheapest. Any feedback is appreciated.

Just to clear things up for me, the TX takes ATF right?

Personally, if my truck is an auto, I use ATF. If it's manual, I use gear oil. Use whatever is in the transmission.