Do your wipers wipe when you pull to wash?

According to a blurb of text in the FSM, the wipers are supposed to wipe several times automatically when you pull the wiper stalk toward you to spray some fluid (as what happens when you use the "wash" function on the rear wiper switch). This doesn't happen for me. Is this really the intended behavior? If so, I'm guessing the wiper amp in my wiper stalk is malfunctioning. I know the older R50s have a front wiper amp in the engine bay, but it seems that mine is in the wiper stalk itself. Luckily, nothing else is wrong with my front wipers, so I wouldn't shell out for another just to fix the "wipe when washing" issue. Maybe if I find a clean one at a junkyard I'd pick it up.

FSM blurb:

When the lever is pulled to the WASH position for one second or more, the front wiper motor operates at low

speed for approximately 3 seconds to clean windshield. This feature is controlled by the wiper amplifier in the

same manner as the intermittent operation.

The intermittent dial thing works fine on my wiper stalk.

On WhiteOwl (88) I think I can drain the bottle before they come on from holding the washers on... Which is great if I have the washers aimed for shenanigans :lol:

Okay then, I'll be on the lookout for a correct wiper stalk at a junkyard. Thanks for the quick help guys. Maybe I'll disassemble the wiper switch and clean it out with some isopropyl alcohol first.

Edited by Towncivilian

Okay then, I'll be on the lookout for a correct wiper stalk at a junkyard. Thanks for the quick help guys. Maybe I'll disassemble the wiper switch and clean it out with some isopropyl alcohol first.

Wow... that sounds like a whole lot of work just to not have to turn on the wipers in a separate motion.

BTW. I have the exact opposite problem. I got the wipers but no fluid! I guess I should get a new pump for it but I'm lazy. I just carry around a bottle of water and throw it on the windshield when I come to stop lights :tongue: I never realized how little I really needed it in the first place.

Edited by MrT

Yeah, I decided not to futz around with the switch. Only if I find a junkyard stalk will I bother trying to fix it. Perhaps I'll ask the service adviser at the dealership to see if the master tech or someone knows why it could be messed up off the top of their head.