A/C Clutch / Electric Fan tap in

VW_Factor

Ok, doing the electric fan conversion. Got everything proper, but for the life of me, I cannot find where to tap into the A/C clutch easily to have it kick on the relay for the fans as well. Is there a relay for the A/C clutch and if so, where would I find that sucker?

The little 3 inch red wire on the compressor itself would be a bitch to tap into for "signal". Where can I find what I need here? :(

on the top of the compressor is a plug for the pressure switch.

run your AC till the clutch engages to see witch wire is positive.

That will be your wire.

on the top of the compressor is a plug for the pressure switch.

run your AC till the clutch engages to see witch wire is positive.

That will be your wire.

Excellent, thank you. I was probing that wire KOEO and it wasn't hot. Starting the engine produced the 12v I was looking for. :)

Tapping into the compressor clutch will cause the fan to turn off when the compressor cycles off. I will post a picture of A/C relay with wire color code when I have a chance.

Tapping into the compressor clutch will cause the fan to turn off when the compressor cycles off. I will post a picture of A/C relay with wire color code when I have a chance.

Yeah, I kinda wondered about that myself. I appreciate the assistance with the proper wiring :) At this point, I won't be using the A/C much at all, but it may become a bit more important when summer decides to show itself here in Oregon.

There is a wire schematic of this set up already on these boards with a write up form I think JJbigshoe. I'll see if I can find it and edit this post.

*edit*

Found it but sadly the pictures have disappeared. perhaps PM him and he may have them on his PC somewhere.

Here's the link.

Ta da.

Edited by Dowser

Yeah, I read through all that stuff. Skimmed some. All I saw was the "hook it to the A/C compressor". After getting it arranged the way that I have (and I am sure some others have as well) I thought to myself. Hey, when the A/C system is on, the compressor doesn't always run full time. So the fan will not run when the A/C system is on, but compressor is NOT energized.

At any rate, I'll look around for a factory service manual maybe and find a more suitable place to tap into the A/C system sometime when I get some more time in the coming weeks. :)

So, uhh, does your fan only run when the AC is on?

Around these parts, when we use A/C the compressor runs full time anyway. Its 90+ before we use it. There are times however say, when it maybe 70 something outside, and humid.. Run the A/C to get rid of the humidity, but its not very hot outside, so the compressor will not be energized 100% of the time. The way I have this wired, in that case, the fan would stop as well (unless the temp switch in the radiator is upto temp as well).

At any rate, its not "a deal breaker" by any means. Just not what I would call proper. The fan should run 100% of the time with A/C "engaged" but the compressor may not be energized full time.

Around these parts, when we use A/C the compressor runs full time anyway. Its 90+ before we use it. There are times however say, when it maybe 70 something outside, and humid.. Run the A/C to get rid of the humidity, but its not very hot outside, so the compressor will not be energized 100% of the time. The way I have this wired, in that case, the fan would stop as well (unless the temp switch in the radiator is upto temp as well).

At any rate, its not "a deal breaker" by any means. Just not what I would call proper. The fan should run 100% of the time with A/C "engaged" but the compressor may not be energized full time.

Ah, right, I get it now, thanks.