Parking Brake Question

pytheas2.0

On my '94 SE 4x4 auto, my parking brake has zero grab. I've adjusted it at both the adjustment link that's between the front and rear cables, and also at the rear drum, but to very little effect. Not enough to even notice.

I've heard this might mean the cable is stretched. After reading past posts, I have two questions:

1) How do I know which cable is the one stretched (or usually is?) The front one that comes from the brake handle, or the rear one that runs from the mid-adjustment link to each rear wheel..........or each cable that is further linked to each rear wheel individually? I'm not sure which would be the one stretched (front, rear that leads to both wheels, or the further end-cables that go to each drum individually further down the line).....to me it could be any one of them (or all??!!)

2) Someone posted on a similar thread "cut one side where the L & R cables link & crimp a new ball ball end on it". How would I go about crimping a new ball end on it & how much is usually cut off.

I should mention I'm doing this to pass TX state inspection ASAP, so if there's a quick fix I'm all for it. I'll buy a whole new assembly if you guys think I need to, but I'd rather that be a last resort.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pytheas2.0

From what we've seen from the pull handle to the wheels, it doesn't appear that anything is stuck or seizing. We can see it working, but barely. The brakes themselves appear to work just fine, too. In the years past (about 3 and 4 years ago respectively) I've had it adjusted by a professional garage to pass inspection, and it would only last a few days before being no good. The last time they said I'd probably need to replace parts, but they wouldn't say which (they weren't sure).

I'll also check out the procedure in the link provided and get back to ya'll.

Please keep the advise coming and a big thanks for what I've got so far!

Edited by pytheas2.0

If you have rear drum brakes, then yeah, you need to make sure that they are properly adjusted (for regular braking) as a precondition for the parking brake to work. If you have rear disc, then (at least on my 91) there is actually an entire separate mini-drum brake inside the rotor! And the star wheel needs to be adjusted on that (per the fsm instructions) in order for the p-brake to work. When I replaced my parking brake cables my p-brake did nothing until I totally adjusted the system.

If you have rear drum brakes, then yeah, you need to make sure that they are properly adjusted (for regular braking) as a precondition for the parking brake to work. If you have rear disc, then (at least on my 91) there is actually an entire separate mini-drum brake inside the rotor! And the star wheel needs to be adjusted on that (per the fsm instructions) in order for the p-brake to work. When I replaced my parking brake cables my p-brake did nothing until I totally adjusted the system.

I think you just answered my question. My e-brake cable is not working anymore either. I tightened up the nut where they both connect in the middle and that did nothing. I have disc in the rear so I just need to pull them to adjust the cable again? I have the fsm so Ill give that a look as well.

I think you just answered my question. My e-brake cable is not working anymore either. I tightened up the nut where they both connect in the middle and that did nothing. I have disc in the rear so I just need to pull them to adjust the cable again? I have the fsm so Ill give that a look as well.

Yeah I would try adjusting the mini-drums. They are not self-ratcheting like regular drum brakes, so need to be adjusted occasionally. Theoretically it is possible through a port on the back... but I'd take it apart to inspect and see which way to turn the adjuster wheel.

Edited by sewebster

Yeah I would try adjusting the mini-drums. They are not self-ratcheting like regular drum brakes, so need to be adjusted occasionally. Theoretically it is possible through a port on the back... but I'd take it apart to inspect and see which way to turn the adjuster wheel.

Okay yeah I tried yesterday through the back and I couldn't figure out which way to go. So I think I will just go and take off the tires and disc to see which way will tighten them.