Frame Replacement

luvnmypath

I have a "94, 5 speed, SE and the frame has rusted through over the rear wheels, can't get any shops to weld it, liability issues so I want to replace the complete frame. Will this work and has anyone done this before? My mechanic is willing to do it for me but if I can give him a road map or some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

yeah it can be done, i highly doubt it can be done in your driveway. if you do it you should do it at a bodyshop. my uncles have a bodyshop and we've changed frames on vehicles before, but i don't think it's financally worth it. if you want to do it, go to a junkyard and buy a whole truck to take the frame off and swamp it. ask around body shops they should be the only ones who will probably do it.

This is what I am finding also here in the Cleveland area. All of the "junk" pathys have the frame rotted out. Here the used car dealers are selling them as good vehicles because no one notices that does not know Pathys. We have a frame shop that will weld the frame back together. My problem is getting a price before the job is completed, or knowing what is a fair price. I am not a welder with this type of skill so this is not a job I'm doing for myself.

Same with the junk frames in Maryland, if they haven't been bent in a wreck then they are rusted out. I've got one coming in from Virginia that's supposed to be solid and I've got the guys to do the change, but has anyone done this on a pathy? Am I just asking for trouble? Any heads up I should give them on trouble areas they may run into? Or if certain things should be disconnected before others? This will be their first pathy so I'm just trying to gather pointers from the experts.

Got a good deal on the frame and the guys at the garage where it's gonna be done I've known for 25+ years, so there going to take care me, so cost wise it's better than buying a new one and I don't like the new body style. Around here you can't get your hands on a used one unless you want to dig deep in your pocket or they are all automatics, yuck!

Well the the frame change over is underway. :D They dropped the frame off the body and pulled the engine, transmission and transfer case today, now everything else will get dropped off the frame and they'll start putting it on the new frame ( from a '95). I got the '95 frame for $600 and I'm having the clutch replaced while they're right there, not that it was worn out but they are right there sooo. I'm taking some photos when I can get to the garage so I'll post them once it's done. Found the rust spot under the back seat that everyone talks about and will plate that while they're there too, it's worse on the drivers side over the exhaust. Other than that everything is in pretty good shape. They tell me I'll get another 10 years out of the body if I park in Arizona from now on! Anyway it stays in the garage when I'm not on the road so we'll see what happens. There's no rust on any other part of the body so I'm gonna push it as far as I can, got two kids headed to college so there's no new car in my immediate future. I'll let you all know what the final cost damage is when it's finished. :cool2:

Well the the frame change over is underway. :D They dropped the frame off the body and pulled the engine, transmission and transfer case today, now everything else will get dropped off the frame and they'll start putting it on the new frame ( from a '95). I got the '95 frame for $600 and I'm having the clutch replaced while they're right there, not that it was worn out but they are right there sooo. I'm taking some photos when I can get to the garage so I'll post them once it's done. Found the rust spot under the back seat that everyone talks about and will plate that while they're there too, it's worse on the drivers side over the exhaust. Other than that everything is in pretty good shape. They tell me I'll get another 10 years out of the body if I park in Arizona from now on! Anyway it stays in the garage when I'm not on the road so we'll see what happens. There's no rust on any other part of the body so I'm gonna push it as far as I can, got two kids headed to college so there's no new car in my immediate future. I'll let you all know what the final cost damage is when it's finished. :cool2:

You ARE putting in a body lift while you're in there, right? :secret:

Nah, my husband's having a cow as it is, can't you see me trying to logically explain my way into a lift kit!! ;)

Stopped by the garage this afternoon, old frame is in the lot, new frame is all dressed and rolled under the body, just waiting on the clutch, which will arrive tomorrow. It has all gone rather smoothly, so the guys tell me, they are pleasantly suprised, haven't had to replace any bolts or even any little things that you would expect to have break and what not. Rumor has it I'll be able to have my wheels back by Friday :aok: Still taking pictures so I'll have to figure out how to get them posted for anyone who is interested. Pretty Cool!!

Well I don't know, how much would a 94 path from the south or southwest run me? This operation is going to cost about $3,000 or a little less, I'll let you know for sure on Friday. My logic is I know how well maintained my pathy is, and know where all 138,000 original miles came from. There's also no dings or dents in the body no rust on the body (other than the previously mentioned rust under the back seat on the under body, which is getting plated) the interior is still in great shape, I just couldn't see junking it, if this was a viable option. I know it's dumb but I've grown quite attached to my pathy over the past 10 years, it's never let me down.

The clutch will replaced today then the body bolted back to the frame and everything else hooked back up, then the test drive. So she'll be mine again by Friday if my luck holds out!!

• 1 year later...