NewB with a `1988 Pathy 5 speed Bumper compatiblity question

Hello All,

NewB here I just bought a 1988 Pathfinder (2dr naturally) 5 speed, rear tire carrier, roof rack and rear wing, A/C works great. I am the third owner it originated and lived in Colorado up until a few months ago when it was driven cross country to Rhode Island. I bought it from the second owner with 170,000 miles. It is amazingly rust free and I ended up getting it for $1000. New timing belt, water pump, brakes, belts. It needs a rear muffler, alternator, speedo cable is broken and probably tires and a battery soon.

THAT SAID I have the opportunity to buy a brand new in the wrapper front and rear factory set of bumpers for a 1992 Pathfinder. Can anyone tell me if they are a direct swap for my 1988 bumpers? The bumpers on my Pathy are just scuffed and have some really small dents and given a new set of bumpers is so cheap I figured if they are a direct swap why not.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Andrew Conti

87-92 are all the same, 93-95 on a 87-92 (and vise-verse) require the matched brackets to the year bumpers :aok:

Fantastic so a set of F & R bumpers for a 1992 PF are direct bolt off bolt on "plug and play"

Thanks!

Is $200. a good price for a pair of black factory bumpers? with end caps, hardware and spacers? I am thinking yes but figured I should double check before laying out the green.

Thanks again!

Hello All,

It needs a rear muffler, alternator, and probably tires.

Welcome!! WAVEY

These things have two mufflers? That I dont believe. Dont get a factory replacement alternator, get one from a qwest mini van, its a bolt in and its puts out more power then the stock one. Nearly any tire works well on these truck, they have some B/A 4 wheel capability. Just remember that the front ends are harder on tires then other makes, mostly because of nissans superior design ability and the fact that the alignment changes everytime its on a lift.

Welcome too the wd21 family. WD21s are the only pathfinder too own if you want real off-road performence.

Fantastic so a set of F & R bumpers for a 1992 PF are direct bolt off bolt on "plug and play"

Thanks!

Is $200. a good price for a pair of black factory bumpers? with end caps, hardware and spacers? I am thinking yes but figured I should double check before laying out the green.

Thanks again!

Hi there,

And welcome. Where did you find the bargain on bumpers? I'm in the market and have an 89 Pathy SE 4x4.

Thanks

Welcome!! WAVEY

These things have two mufflers? That I dont believe. Dont get a factory replacement alternator, get one from a qwest mini van, its a bolt in and its puts out more power then the stock one. Nearly any tire works well on these truck, they have some B/A 4 wheel capability. Just remember that the front ends are harder on tires then other makes, mostly because of nissans superior design ability and the fact that the alignment changes everytime its on a lift.

Welcome too the wd21 family. WD21s are the only pathfinder too own if you want real off-road performence.

proably confusing the cat as a 'front muffler' and the Quest alty requires some labor to fit on, it's the Maxima alty thats 99.5% bolt on (pully swap)

200 bucks for all caps/both center bars/ asociated hardware seems pretty decent, when I do my bumpers over though I plan to add some actual beef to the ends of my truck, not just the allusion of a bumper. So I'd honestly suggest saving your pennies for some nice meaty aftermarkets or make (or have somenone make for you) a heavy homemade setup. Even if you never plan to wheel, the stockies are fairly weak.