Well the engine's commin out.

MaritimeMan

Spent a good 5 hours last night gettin the motor ready to pull. Only thing left to do is motor mounts and unbolt the tranny. Timing belt is a gimme, as it has about 40k on it, but anything else I should tackle while I'm in there? Water pump, thermostat, or any other items that are a PITA to get to, much easier with the motor out? A filter relocation kit was suggested on a different thread, but where can I get one? I'll try summit and see what they say. Thanks for the input.

M.M.

IIRC, the oil filter relocation kit is actually for a Ford application, the Nissan filter has the same size spindle hole and thread pitch as a Ford 1A filter, like for a 5.0.

As long as you're pulling the heads, rebuild the heads, P&P them yourself if at all possible, and get new head bolts. :) Pressure wash your front diff!

Yah cosmetics I'm over, just gonna get dirty again next time I go wheelin. What exactly is a port and polish? I know it has to do with the intake man and heads, but how is it done? Is a reliable machine shop capable of performing this? The relocation kit will be ordered tomarrow.

How about the EGR valve? Machine the Flywheel? I have all weekend to work on this crap, but I'd like to have her back together mid week if at all possible, so if I have to spend a few buck to have some one make me something, wait for parts, etc, I'm sittin ok.

When I pulled mine, I regret that I didn't take the extra time to replace the cam seals, drop the oil pan and clean out whatever gunk was in there. With a 4x4, the pan is nearly impossible to get off without yanking the engine up. Make sure you use a good high temp rtv to reseal the pan so it doesn't give you any problems. If I did it again, I'd also yank the heads and do a valve job and toss the manifolds for a set of headers. Replacing the studs with the better ones is much easier on the bench. Check your rear seal while it's out. That's one place I had a nagging small leak that just dripped from the tranny housing. It'd be a bitch to get at while in the truck. Good luck and have fun. Remember, the leftover bolts don't count as long as you get rid of them before someone questions their necessity. :)

Well, just a quick update. The motor is out. The relocation kit is on its way, 45.99 from summit. New clutch kit, timing belt. One of the motor mounts was busted so a new set of those. and the best part;

I GOT THE FRIGGIN STUD OUT!!!!!!!!!! :clap::takebow::clap::takebow::clap::takebow:

The one that was busted in the block, PB blasted it last night and center punched it P... . This afternoon, drilled it, heated it with propane, used an extractor, and out she came, little fuss or muss.

As far as the P&P goes, I did some research and askin around on the matter. What I found is that i8t will add a couple of HP, yes, but it is usualy the last thing done to a built up motor. While "Burping and Farting" is definately a good thing, I really don't have the time or money right now to build her up, or perform a P&P (even though a buddy has the do-it-yourself kit). Right now, I just want to focus on getting the exhaust work done, as I'm gonna need her in about a week to drive up to Seattle. Thanks for all the input though, I will keep the motor mods in the back of my mind for a later date.

M.M.

Oh and lgranch, I'm a college student. I don't sleep, just work till its done.

hehehe also explains why you are doing it yourself rather than paying someone else to. My excuse was that I'm a cheap bastard. :)