Best method for replacing ball joint.

Finished installing my warn hubs tonight, after having to replace all 6 left front studs from some impact gun happy mechanic used by the previous owner. Turns out my left front ball joint is wasted as well so I need to replace it soon. What is the best method of getting the old one out? By the way, the warn hub upgrade is awesome. Daryl.

Edited by snow4me

Well, I got that part silly. :-) I had read that the CV is in the way of getting it out and wondered if there was any tricks for wiggling it out of there?

I know the search engine is not the best around, but a user here gave a nice way of finding stuff... in google type this : "ball joint" site:npora.ipbhost.com

You will get all the results with the words <ball joints> together... and if you look at the 3rd result, you will get all the info you need...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23327

You just need to undo the snap ring and move the CV enough to wiggle the ball joint out. I found a few good wacks with a pickle fork popped the ball joint out real easy.

If you have the snap ring off, are you able to slide the axle shaft inward toward the motor? I had mine off this weekend when I was doing the hubs but didn't try and push it in.

Yeah you can, I kinda pulled up on the brake rotor a bit and jiggled it around and it moved in enough to get the thing out. It helps having a second person so you don't drop the whole thing on your fingers like I did.