Front Crankshaft Seal or Kit?

Milos

Hi,

There is a oil leak at the front of Crankshaft, so mechanic told me that is "Retenedor del frente de Motor", that would be Frontal Crankshaft Seal.

I need help with defining what should I take:

Crankshaft Seal, three of those?

or

Crankshaft Seal kit, three of those, or one kit and three seals?

Example, Crankshaft seal:

$%28KGrHqUOKjUE1m-uEGZ5BNnOR8InJQ~~0_1.JPG

Kit:

!!d5FZ0g!2M~$%28KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmS!t7BKGkl2,mEg~~_8.JPG

You need the kit and the crank seal because you have to remove the timing belt to get to it and to do that you have to remove the waterpump and the timing belt covers. It is a lot of work to get to unfortunately. You may want to consider changing the timing belt at the same time if it hasn't been done for a while. Check your cam seals for leaking also, and it is a good time to change the thermostat and the bypass hose too. It's up to you how much to do, but it is the same amount of labor for eash item... :shrug:

B

You need the kit and the crank seal because you have to remove the timing belt to get to it and to do that you have to remove the waterpump and the timing belt covers. It is a lot of work to get to unfortunately. You may want to consider changing the timing belt at the same time if it hasn't been done for a while. Check your cam seals for leaking also, and it is a good time to change the thermostat and the bypass hose too. It's up to you how much to do, but it is the same amount of labor for eash item... :shrug:

B

Thermostat is this the one?:

$%28KGrHqV,!icE1Nrnhvj,BNb2TgF5Yg~~0_12.JPG - 20 usd

There is also Thermostat housing gastket, 12 usd

!!e!3QY!EWM~$%28KGrHqJ,!mIEz+0E27skBNQUvYpT+Q~~_8.JPG

Timing belt 44 usd

!C!bTZMQBGk~$(KGrHqQOKi!E0BmFDtFlBNC6KHk+YQ~~_12.JPG

Also, 127 usd Timing belt kit, with water pump

9f26_12.JPG

Bypass hose, 7 usd

!CDg9t1wBGk~$(KGrHqR,!kwE0FEUnU4iBNO2UceMqg~~_12.JPG

Thank you a lot for your advice.

:beer:

Thermostat, -you do not NEED a $12 gasket just use quality RTV sealant. (same for the bypass neck if you remove it to change the hose)

Bypass hose

Crank seal

Cam seal

Water pump

Water pump gasket

Timing belt

The above are all things that should be done at the same time to avoid future tear downs.

The valve cover gaskets you can skip Unless they are leaking. And I would try to tighten down your covers a little before you go replacing those...

Yes, that is the thermostat.

MY1PATH is right, many people don't use a thermostat gaslet. I did use it, but I also put sealant on both sides of it.

It looks like the timing belt kit (with the waterpump) has the T-belt tensioner, the crank and the cam seals also, right? (verify that!!)

If so, then all you need is that kit, the thermostat and the bypass hose. Save the valve cover gaskets for some time you have the intake plenum off and you are good to go for the next 160,000km!!

You are welcome, helping others is the whole point of the site. ;)

These might be good to read...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12828

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23280&st=0&p=416969&hl=+timing%20+belt&fromsearch=1entry416969

:beer:

B

Hi,

There is a oil leak at the front of Crankshaft, so mechanic told me that is "Retenedor del frente de Motor", that would be Frontal Crankshaft Seal.

Kit:

!!d5FZ0g!2M~$%28KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmS!t7BKGkl2,mEg~~_8.JPG

This kit you have posted has 3 different oil pump gaskets. Also 2 different oil pickup tube seals (the blue gasket at the top, and the o-ring at the bottom). Take your vin number down and check with a dealer which parts you need. You may be able to find a cheaper one with a single gasket for your specific model.

The Hanes manual recomends prying out the oil seal. This method does not require removal of the oil pump, but is not as easy as it sounds. The prefered method is to remove the oil pump and drive the seal out from behind. On a 4WD this necessitates removal of the steering centrelink. and dropping the front differential to remove the oil pan...

...GOOD LUCK (I just did mine. It was a lot of work)

• 3 months later...

Bought the kit with all, water pump, gasket for it...

The cat eat the gasket of the water pump, so I have ordered another one, that was lost in shipping...well it came late.

Gray silicon was used, instead of water pump gasket, and together with three seals.

There are three seals, and two are the same, and third is bit smaller.

So, to change this three little parts, you need to remove fan cover, upper hose of radiator.

Then, pull up fan cover (mine was broken at the top and hooked with plastic wraps.)

I bought before new radiator, as it is cheap for shipping, and it came from US to Dominican Republic with express post, 8.5 pounds, and 230 pesos per pound, one dollar is 38 pesos.

To come to the seals, you need to take all three belts, holders for belts and metal covers, until you see water pump.

Above the water pump you can see thermostat (mine looked dry with mushrooms, and my mechanic says that water runs trough).

It is smart to change thermostat or not? I did not.

So, when you take water pump, then add three seals, and put all back together.

Hoses needs to be checked if there are some cracks or brake on it, and all bracelets.

Lower hose (fat one) needs to be replaced (in my case).

Nissan Pathfinder 1995.

Date August 2011.

Mechanic Martin (Dominican guy, next to Centro Medico Bavaro Punta Cana).

Dominican Republic, Caribbean.

and then I had to fix two more small hoses, did vapor cleaning after, fixed again lower fat hose (with silicon), and it looks like this

294423_10150339329726672_595346671_9480625_5109057_n.jpg