1987 Pathfinder auto trans

ynot5903

Hello, I just purchased a 1987 Pathfinder 2dr V6 4x4 auto trans W/O overdrive with 71,000 one owner miles with zero rust. The transmission doesn't shift into second gear until 3100rpm and third at around 2900rpm is this normal?

This should probably be moved to the 85-89 pathfinder section. i have a auto in my 95 and she shifts when i let off the gas. I can rev her to about 4000 b4 she shift on her own but i bring her to maybe 2500 and left off the gas for a little bit and she shifts down. i dont know if its the same with you but maybe you should check and see.

Welcome to NPORA.

-XD

Edited by PathfinderIII

Seems just a tad bit high, my '87 would shift around there if I had my foot a little bit in to it. Light throttle and it would shift around 2500RPM. I suggest doing a good fluid flush and installing an aftermarket transmission cooler. The '87s aren't as prone to cooler clogging as the '88+ with the 4-speeds are, but it's a good safety precaution.

The 3-speeds usually shift a little weird to begin with. 1-2 is pretty harsh, 2-3 is slow and lazy, and the torque converter lockup is barely noticed.

Hello, I just purchased a 1987 Pathfinder 2dr V6 4x4 auto trans W/O overdrive with 71,000 one owner miles with zero rust. The transmission doesn't shift into second gear until 3100rpm and third at around 2900rpm is this normal?

Maybe you are giving it a little too much gas? I know with mine you have to be pretty light on the throttle or it will shift pretty high. You don't have it on the "power" setting on the E-AT switch do you?

This should probably be moved to the 85-89 pathfinder section. i have a auto in my 95 and she shifts when i let off the gas. I can rev her to about 4000 b4 she shift on her own but i bring her to maybe 2500 and left off the gas for a little bit and she shifts down. i dont know if its the same with you but maybe you should check and see.

Welcome to NPORA.

-XD

I think you are giving 'er a little too much or something is wrong with your tranny or throttle position sensor.