Timing belt age unknown

So I've had my '98 SE for about a year now and done a bunch of upgrades and maintenance, one thing that keeps botherinig me though is I do not know the age of the timing belt. Any way to find out when this was changed last? No records came with the truck. Can dealership check by VIN to see if they did it?

when ever buying a used vehicle of any kind it is always a good idea to do all the normal maintenance, especially the timing belt. Better safe than sorry. Even if you have records from a previous owner, unless you actually know the person do you want to trust their records? better to pay for a timing belt than a whole motor.

no records=get it done so you dont have to worry anymore in my books.

comnig from the person whos still driving around on a belt i only found out a couple weeks ago WAS changed not long before I got it

How many miles on it? I was sweating it last year because I was at 127,000 on the factory t-belt, then my water pump started to leak real bad and I got off my butt and did it. Looking back, the t-belt was in good shape for the miles on it, no fraying cracks or anything, but it was stretched a little loose. I sure felt better after the new t-belt and water pump went in though.

:bounce:

That is what I figured, it is next on the list. How much should it cost to have it done?

DIY: Depends on what all you do, I did the belt, tensioner, water pump, all coolant hoses less the heater hoses, and coolant for $250 perhaps $300 IIRC.

SHOP: Seems the going rate around my area was about $750-$800 bucks.

I have a friend that is mechanically inclined and has all the tools to boot. He did my tb, wp, and all the other belts as a favor for me. All I had in it was the cost of the belts and pump. I ended up buying him some Polk tower speakers for his time. In the end, I think that we were both happy!

• 2 weeks later...

So had the timing, serpentine belts changed, coolant flushed, new pump and thermostat done this week, $630 California dollars at my local shop. I'll feel much better taking her off road now.

Nice, did they do the timing belt tensioner? My old one is sitting in the garage and I picked it up the other day, the bearings are seized up. I know it spun when I took it out. Seems it locked up just sitting there! :blink:

What about the little macaroni noodle coolant hose deep in there?