Skid plate

sewebster

So the stock skid plate, which is pretty thin anyway, doesn't actually cover the back of the oil pan where it drops down. Does this seem bad to anyone else? The aftermarket plates I've seen don't seem to either. My worry is bouncing down onto some big rock which pierces the pan. Is that really unlikely? Any plates out there for sale that solve this problem or do I need to go custom?

I searched, really! :) (found lots of skid plate posts, not about the oil pan though)

Edited by sewebster

that area should be a simple build, IIRC all you would need is a flat piece of heavy metal and either make it easy removal for oil changes or cut a hole in it by the plug. As for anyone selling one? :shrug: bug Fleurys, he needs to step up to making skids for real Pathfinders wd21s anyway. :whip:

Ah, I guess you mean just add an additional plate. Yeah, that could work. I guess it could bolt into the same holes as the rear of the front plate. Not sure where behind that though... transmission is there. If It was really long it could go back to the transmission mount, but that might be excessive.

I wonder if I was only attached at the front, and then had the rear part resting on the trans or something... could be better than nothing and pretty easy. Hmm.

Yep, take some 3/8 UHMW PE sheet, drill holes according to the rear of the front skid pattern, cut it as necessary, heat to bend/cool to set when necessary and find spots/fab mounting points.

It takes a little work but very achievable by most people...

B