Strange noise from rear end

Matthew K

I have another question about my 01 SE (4WD automatic). When I'm driving I sometimes hear a weird noise coming from the rear end, almost like a hard rubber-type noise (for lack of better description). It usually happens at low speed or turns, but is sometimes more apparent if I go over a big enough speed bump at a slow speed. The strange thing is that I don't always hear it over bumps in the road. The shocks seem to be fine and the spare tire is secured tightly. I'm thinking it may be the bump stops...do these go bad? I bought the vehicle with 41K miles and it seems like the previous owner took good care of it. Any suggestions before I take it in to the dealer? Thanks much.

Matt

is is kind of a clunk from the rear end? If so, it could be the rear upper control arm bushings going bad. They control the foreward and backward roll motion of the rear axle, so bad bushings would loosen up the connection b/t axle and vehicle and cause a clunk. B)

Big Johnson ;)

It's not really a clunk. The best way I can describe it is like a heavy rubber mallet hitting something. All I can imagine is the rear end bottoming out on the bump stops, but I'm not really going over bumps hard at all. I took it in to National Tire Battery (NTB) today and the guy said I needed new struts and shocks because of the way the tires were wearing and slight leakage...but the Pathy's only 4 years old. Should I need new shocks and struts so soon? Maybe I do, but I'm taking it in to another shop for a second opinion...

Thanks for the reply..

Matt

Newer Pathys have had problems with struts. When I was shopping around they either needed struts(leaking) or they had been replaced. I had to replace mine when I first bought it and it was 5 years old. I've had the same noise the last couple of weeks(I think it's the same) and I'm gonna change my rear shocks, I'll let you know how it works out. :)

Matthew,

I've had this same problem with my 01 pathy as well and have yet to find the problem after $600+ dollars to investigate.

Everytime I try to repoduce everyone thinks im crazy bc they cannot hear it. I may be crazy :wacko: but the noise is there and it is loud.

I don't know what to tell you since I have not resolved the problem myself yet. The dealer says I am the only one complaining of this noise when there are atleast 10 people on here with the same noise and there are more then 10 2001 PF's on the road right now...

~Jason

Thank you guys for your replies. Sometimes the guys at the shop look at me like I'm crazy, but I know the noise is there. Anyway, I just dropped my Pathy off at a local shop that does good work. They should be calling me back this morning to give me their take. I'll let you know what they say about it! Thanks again...

Matt

P... I had the same problem on my PF, if you check some of my past posts you will see. It ended up being the Right rear upper link bushing. It didn't look to bad but it was a little pulled apart. I got the whole rear upper link, and it cost about $110. The noise was just like you described, like a rubber hammer hitting something. After I replaced it, the noise was gone. It did take me awhile and a couple of trips to Nissan to figure out what it was. The sound started after I had my EMU springs installed, so for the longest time I thought that was it. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip!! In my last post I said I took it to a reputable shop, but unfortunately even they couldn't pin-point the problem. I'll have to take a closer look at that bushing. What's weird is that it doesn't happen on all bumps, or all the time for that matter. In fact, it's more noticeable at low speeds, sometimes when I pull away from a stop and other times on slight bumps or dips in the road. Thanks again!

Matt

Matt, Sounds just like mine before I fixed it. I only had the noise in first gear and when I took off from a stop. The bushings can seem ok at first look, but look closer for leaks or and thing that might look like damage. I can take a picture of the bushing if you like, to show you what I found.

Trialsin26,

A picture would really help out a lot. That way I'll know what I should look for. I've got a good friend who used to work as a mechanic who's going to help me out hopefully this weekend. He'll be able to dedicate more time to it rather than some of the shops that just take it for a quick spin around the parking lots and look over the components briefly. Thanks again!

Matt

Mine almost sounds like the jack is loose under the rear seat, seems like its mostly on the passenger side. I'll check that before I actually replace the shocks....might be just a little cheaper ;)

• 1 month later...

Well :rolleyes: ....... after crawling around underneath and shaking suspension parts, jumping up and down on the step bars, shaking the rear tire in and out, and even riding in the back seat and listening to the seat while the gf drove, I couldn't find the rattle unless the Pathy was moving (I even opened the rear door and drove for a bit and took everything that was in the storage places out). I couldn't narrow it down to anything but the upper link bushing. I took it to my local dealer and all confident said "check the upper links, I've got a rattle in the rear :D ". It wasn't too long before they told me they found a loose exhaust bracket hitting the trailer hitch.......... doh, just a little embarrassing, how could I miss THAT???? Oh well, a little cheaper than shocks.

• 3 weeks later...