high lift jack

farmerfra

Hey guys, bought a hi lift jack today, never used one before and am wondering where to use as lift points? I have a stock 98 LE ( no big bumpers or side sliders or nerf bars) is it possible to use without destroying my rockers? thanks for the knowledge.

Edited by farmerfra

Hey guys, bought a hi lift jack today, never used one before and am wondering where to use as lift points? I have a stock 98 LE ( no big bumpers or side sliders or nerf bars) is it possible to use without destroying my rockers? thanks for the knowledge.

Hi-Lift makes something called the Lift-Mate but that's lifting your vehicle up from the tire. THAT DOESN'T HELP IF YOUR TIRE IS FLAT! I also wouldn't try to lift from the fender well, not strong enough. There's no real good pick point from the side, with no sliders. I think your only pick point would be your front tow hooks or rear hitch bar ( if you have one?) using short straps and shackles. Hi-Lift makes a Bumper Mate as well, but that won't do you any good either, TOO MUCH PLASTIC. In either case, for you, it would probably be faster to just use the bottle jack! Just out of curiosity, why did you buy a hi-lift jack with no real place on your truck to use it??? :scratchhead:

Hmmmm,

On a similar note, if you DO have the OEM side steps that are welded to the frame, do you think those are sufficiently strong to jack up the truck from?

Tough to use the Hi-Lift in the obvious places without damaging things or breaking off the "bumper" - which on stock Pathys (and virtually all stock trucks/SUVs) is really just a plastic cover over a metal crash bar. If you don't have sliders or metal bumpers (ARB/TJM/Custom rear), all I can think of is the rear hitch. But even that may not be a good idea. If you've got a lift and big tires, you would need a really big bottlejack.

Suggest getting either the rock sliders or metal bumpers.

yeah what you guys are saying makes sense. My standard bottle jack crapped out and I needed a replacement. So i was in the store looking at jacks when the guy behind the counter tells me they have 48" hi lift jacks on for 40 bucks ( regular 120) and I remembered all the guys I used to hang with in high school having them for their jeeps.... so yup, got the hi lift.

Anyways, not sure what i'll do for now, but a TAG bumper is in my future as well as side rock sliders.

yeah what you guys are saying makes sense. My standard bottle jack crapped out and I needed a replacement. So i was in the store looking at jacks when the guy behind the counter tells me they have 48" hi lift jacks on for 40 bucks ( regular 120) and I remembered all the guys I used to hang with in high school having them for their jeeps.... so yup, got the hi lift.

Anyways, not sure what i'll do for now, but a TAG bumper is in my future as well as side rock sliders.

40 bucks id like to know where you bought that from?

Hi-lifts are a great last resort option, but I've always found them terribly dangerous when not on a completely flat, stable surface. Too many time's I've been out on a trail and had a vehicle up on a Hi-lift to swap out a flat or do a repair and you can just see that thing wobbling or you can't get it to quite lock in to the next hole. Fortunately I have never seen one actually fail, but I've heard stories. Plus, unless they are stored in a case or bag, they invariably rust up and then they get really tough to try and use. Personally, for home use I'd stick with a standard floor jack and for the trail I'd get an exhaust jack like this one:

exjack.jpeg.

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but you pay for what you get right? And they are awesome.

Edited by SRN

Hmmmm,

On a similar note, if you DO have the OEM side steps that are welded to the frame, do you think those are sufficiently strong to jack up the truck from?

In most cases no... they will bend under the weight of the truck.

Personally, for home use I'd stick with a standard floor jack and for the trail I'd get an exhaust jack like this one:

exjack.jpeg.

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but you pay for what you get right? And they are awesome.

Has anyone tried these ? All fine and dandy in sand, but where I go wheeling there are rocks, tree limbs and all kinds of junk everywhere. The idea of getting under or working around a 2-3 ton weight suspended by a balloon makes me a bit queasy...

Simple answer- Don't use the hi-lift

Trying to lift from the center of either end will result in it getting the wheels off the ground, then the truck shifting to one side or the other, knocking it off the jack.. possibly injuring someone beneath it..

a VERY experienced wheeler that I had do some welds on the stronger parts of my bumper recommended an all-in-one bottle jack/jack stand. He said they are about $30 at tractor supply, go up to about 18-24 inches I think, and keep you safe...not making you have to carry two jacks.

The nice thing to have a hilift for is the tugging capabilities, and if someone doesn't carry a jack with them and CAN use a hilift, you're prepared!

Powerbuilt-640912-All-In-One-3-Ton-Bottle-Jack-with-Jack-Stand.jpg

off the ground, then the truck shifting to one side or the other, knocking it off the jack.. possibly injuring someone beneath it..

a VERY experienced wheeler that I had do some welds on the stronger parts of my bumper recommended an all-in-one bottle jack/jack stand. He said they are about $30 at tractor supply, go up to about 18-24 inches I think, and keep you safe...not making you have to carry two jacks.

Powerbuilt-640912-All-In-One-3-Ton-Bottle-Jack-with-Jack-Stand.jpg

In the same vein, I highly recommend a screw jack. Requires more elbow grease but awesome on trails or when your vehicle's jack and lift points aren't optimally located. I have used them several times. The one below's pricey but you get the idea.

http://www.amazon.com/441305-SJ-5-5-Ton-Screw-Jack/dp/B00079WOZI

Has anyone tried these ? All fine and dandy in sand, but where I go wheeling there are rocks, tree limbs and all kinds of junk everywhere. The idea of getting under or working around a 2-3 ton weight suspended by a balloon makes me a bit queasy...

I have used that kind by Bushranger in the sand, it was a hot day and the exhaust tube melted. I will never trust one again, you need a jack you can rely on. Besides I always thought exhaust jacks were more for getting unstuck, not for actually working on the truck.

Just to throw out one more option...the stock scissor jack on top of the Hi Lift off-road base. I've only tried it once, but it worked quite well. Stole the idea from a friend who uses the off-road base and his stock bottle jack.

I guess it depends on your needs, I carry a variety of unsticking/lifting options. The high lift with the attachment to lift a tire is great for getting the body up off things when you are high centered or lift a tire up to get some stuff under when you drop into a big hole. Or get the body high enough to use one of the other options, it makes a pretty good hand winch too, just takes a week 10 days to move any distance. I have never had an issue with one moving all that much, BUT you do have to take your time in setting up to use it. I like the integrated bottle jack and jack stand idea, that could come in very handy.

I've used them in the rocks of southern Utah on several occasions and never had an issue. The material they are made out of is very stout. Of course it's no perminate replacement for a good floor jack in the garage, but I'd take one of these over a precariously place bottle jack or Hi-Lift any day.

As for a melted tube, I've never seen or heard of that happening. Was the cone still on the head of the tube?