running auto hubs with lift

I am soon getting OME coils for a modest lift.

Question is, how long will my CV joints last if I keep the auto hubs? Manual hubs are NOT an option for me. My wife drives it in the winter in 4x4 auto, and I just hate manual hubs.

I don't mind changing the joints a little more often, as long as its not every month or anything

You can leave manual hubs locked all the time and they would be acting just like auto hubs or you can unlock them and get better gas milage and keep the stress off your front end components. Either way upgrading them is a good idea and far off better than auto hubs, it just gives you the choice to unlock them and will let your CV's last longer.

I had my lift for 2 years without the manual hubs, without issue. You could go even longer... or less, I suppose, depending on what kind of shape your CV's are in now.

Should be fine with auto hubs. It took real effort for me to bust my CVs (long story). As far as wear goes, unless you're driving 100 mph 3 hours/day, you should also be fine. If you ARE driving that much and are concerned about CV wear, a cheap reman one from the parts stores won't really solve your problem. You'd just wear 'em out quickly again. I would suggest replacing the boots as fleury suggested and pack9ing the boots with a high quality grease like Royal Purple or something. A bit messy and time-consuming but will genuinely extend the life of the CV boot and joint.

OK, I never thought of that.. getting the manual hubs and just leaving them on all winter. They won't be a problem with the all mode 4x4 when its in auto?

How much MPG increase do you get with the manuals unlocked? If they pay for themselves I will seriously consider it.

Good to know I will be fine for a while with the autos anyway, and the grease and boots is definately a good idea.

OK, I never thought of that.. getting the manual hubs and just leaving them on all winter. They won't be a problem with the all mode 4x4 when its in auto?

How much MPG increase do you get with the manuals unlocked? If they pay for themselves I will seriously consider it.

Good to know I will be fine for a while with the autos anyway, and the grease and boots is definately a good idea.

Don't mean to intrude..but I am curious of this too. I have the All-Mode transfer case also and want to install the manual hubs, I have read some have had issues with the 4wd light coming on anyone had these issues?

• 2 weeks later...

yes, pair, and amazon still appears to be the best buy. free shipping and no tax for most people (definitely us in CA, anyways).

you can use the AUTO mode for the 4x4, but you simply have to be absolutely certain that your hubs are locked. just like with the floor shifter 4x4, you should only be switching into 4x4 when your hubs are locked.

and to reiterate, the truck will drive the same with the manual hubs locked as it does stock.

Don't mean to intrude..but I am curious of this too. I have the All-Mode transfer case also and want to install the manual hubs, I have read some have had issues with the 4wd light coming on anyone had these issues?

I've got the Qx4, and as most will immediately note, I have the "Auto" selector switch (ie. not the manual transfer case).

I installed the Warn hubs on my Qx4 and have not seen the 4x4 blinking light not once. I've driven so far about 2000+ miles.

I personally haven't seen any significant MPG improvement. I averaged about 16.5mpg and I still average about 16.5mpg. I do about 60/40 highway/city driving.

But someone put me in check - MPG's shouldn't be the main reason I bought them.... it should be so that I can be a poser! :takebow:

Nawww... but really, I think it just puts less wear on the drive train. Less moving parts IMO equates to less wear and tear. Not to get all OT (but I am anyways), I want to go forward and try to install some electric fans.

yes, pair, and amazon still appears to be the best buy. free shipping and no tax for most people (definitely us in CA, anyways).

you can use the AUTO mode for the 4x4, but you simply have to be absolutely certain that your hubs are locked. just like with the floor shifter 4x4, you should only be switching into 4x4 when your hubs are locked.

and to reiterate, the truck will drive the same with the manual hubs locked as it does stock.

YUP!

you can just leave the hubs locked and it'd work exactly the same as if you had the stock/auto hubs.

I'd suggest getting some manual hubs just to have the option of disconnecting the front wheels for whatever reason you'd need to.

• 8 months later...

Hey, stupid question, are these sold as a pair or individually?

Thanks!

i have searched about whether warn manual hubs will fit in stock pathy wheels. i have found discussions about issues with the later model 6 spoke wheels needing to be bored out to clear the hubs. i have a 2000 SE 5 spoke wheels which i plan on replacing with black steelies when i get new tires. but i got the 2" ac lift about a month ago and worry about my cv's and want the extra mpgs so i want to install hubs. this pic is the only one with hubs on these wheels that i have seen with hubs so my question to you is did the stock wheels clear as is or did you have to alter them.

photo.jpg

I am soon getting OME coils for a modest lift.

Question is, how long will my CV joints last if I keep the auto hubs? Manual hubs are NOT an option for me. My wife drives it in the winter in 4x4 auto, and I just hate manual hubs.

I don't mind changing the joints a little more often, as long as its not every month or anything

So what kind of hubs do I have? I bought Mile Makers Hubs with locking and unlocking mechanism in front.I am asking this question because I've been having some problems with these hubs since I started using 4x4.

Let me explain: With my hubs locked in, and 4x4 liver disengaged, when starting to accelerate 40km/hr my track starts to vibrate, it also feels like 4x4 is engaged even the green light is off. I dont seem to have this problem with hubs locked in and 4x4 engaged. When I unlock the hubs there is no problem with driving, everything works well. Any ideas??