interior spare tire carrier hardware for 1994 XE

aPathy

Good morning, all. I'm looking for some help locating the necessary hardware for an interior spare tire carrier.

The 1994 XE I recently picked up didn't come with a factory exterior spare tire mount. One of the previous owners installed an aftermarket exterior carrier that just attaches to the bumper, but it rattles around too much for my likings and doesn't seem very secure, so I took it off. I went to the local pick and pull and found a factory exterior carrier that looked like it may work. However, after reading through the posts about mounting it I feel that my limited mechanical skills wouldn't be up to the task.

So, I'd like to use the interior carrier to keep the tire secure and tucked out of the way inside the truck. I've read some of the posts that debate the pros and cons of interior, exterior, and roof mounting spare options and I think for right now I'd like to try to interior mount method. I've searched and scoured the forums here and the google but haven't found much of anything. I've found some references to it, but no clear pictures or ideas of the hardware needed to mount the tire inside.

Somehow I ran across this --http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?action=getPartLocator&siteid=2&chapter=AEF3615&sectionids=0,7184&groupid=52010&subgroupid=8382&makeid=25&model=Pathfinder&year=1994&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0-- no pictures or description, so not sure if it even applies.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

-a

how it looks with the correct interior trim stuff

cdec6329.jpg

0384e887.jpg

the 2 top bars bolt directly to the inner bracing behind the panel (would have to trim for non equipped trucks) and the bottom 2 'feet', the rear one is directly to the floor and the front one to a little 'foot' that stands up bairly from the wheel well hump.

there are also 2 different style mounts to hold a spare TO the rack

33e72fff.jpg

b36e9797.jpg

I would summise for 2 different size factory spares/wheel styles

I would go to a pick a part with a socket set if I were you though to get one, that or bug someoen who added a external rack to their originally internal equipped truck

Hi, nunya.

Thanks for the great pictures. Currently, I don't have any internal hardware in the back of a pathy. I just took a picture to show you what is back there now.

2011-03-20_13-49-01_605.jpg

The little plastic part with holes in it pops off to reveal two screws or bolts... which I just realized I should have taken a picture of as well. There is an indent in the floor of the back of the hatch which fits the spare tire perfectly.

Do you know of any place (online or otherwise) that sells these types of brackets? The pick and pull I went to yesterday only had three pathys and all had exterior tire carriers.

I saw a couple of other junk yards when I was leaving yesterday (didn't have a chance to stop) that specialized in foreign cars, so maybe I'll have more luck there. At least I have a better idea of what I'm looking for thanks to your information.

Thanks for the help!

-a

Ok, lookin at that pic ilooks like the top mounts would be behind that part you say pops off and that red tab poking through the carpet on the wheel well hump is what I woulda been most concerned that would be missing. I'm gonna guess you originally had one (previous owner removed). I'm useless for an online source to find one, maby pm Akorhol (not sure that's te correct spelling of his user name), he's Nissan factory parts pusher, that and check the part outs here. I can't be it being a high want item so I wouldn't forsee someone wanting a high dollar for it. More people seem to prefer the external rack (which ain't as bad of an install as it seems from the read, but still ain't a 5 minute slap it on job)

Ok, lookin at that pic ilooks like the top mounts would be behind that part you say pops off and that red tab poking through the carpet on the wheel well hump is what I woulda been most concerned that would be missing. I'm gonna guess you originally had one (previous owner removed). I'm useless for an online source to find one, maby pm Akorhol (not sure that's te correct spelling of his user name), he's Nissan factory parts pusher, that and check the part outs here. I can't be it being a high want item so I wouldn't forsee someone wanting a high dollar for it. More people seem to prefer the external rack (which ain't as bad of an install as it seems from the read, but still ain't a 5 minute slap it on job)

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll track down akorhol and check out the part outs to see if I have any luck.

For anyone else reading the thread, do you have any thoughts on the link I posted in the initial post to parts.com? It looks like it was only $15, so not sure if that is the park I need.

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

-a

Thanks for the link, caddy. I found this link from nunya's suggestion http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214081&chapter=&sectionids=0,7184&groupid=52010&subgroupid=8382&make=25&model=Pathfinder&year=1994&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=2 but it looks like your diagram breaks all the specific parts out.

Appreciate all the help.

-a