Fuel Smell at Start Up

PivoArch

I seem to be getting a faint fuel smell from the engine at start up. Any ideas on what that might be from? I know it is a pretty vague question, thanks in advance for any insite you might have.

I would check the hose clamps on your fuel lines under the hood. The wd21's are known for this problem but it may happen to r50 too. Usually tightening the clamps fixes it.

The hoses look to be push to connect, so I am thinking they are not adjustable. The regulator is on the gas tank, is it not? The smell seems to come from the engine bay, I'm gonna have to narrow that down. Leaky hoses are probably the cause, but they will be hard to pinpoint as the fuel pump will probably account for a small drop in pressure. Narrowing down the area and duration of the smell seem to be the best next steps.

I believe the fuel pressure regulator is on top of the engine and looks like a top hat. But if it was the fuel pressure regulator then it would run like dog sh&*....... if it ran. Maybe the return line?

Edited by muddfildvaynes

check your fuel filler tube. a while ago nissan had a recall about the fuel filler tube not having proper anti corrosive coating. the recall was issued due to salt eating away at the filler tube material. this is especially important to those located in the heavily salted states during the winter months.

hope this helps. i got mine replaced for free and it only took about 30min.

of course if its just during start up this might not be the case...unless when the system gets pressurized it emits the odor??

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

Yea, I saw those recalls, there are tons of post about it if you search google for Pathfinder and Gas Smell. The recall was for 1996 to 2001 though, mine is an 02. Plus the smell seems to be coming from the front and not the back, thanks for the thought though.

The return line is a possiblilty. I agree that if it was the regulator or anything like that it would be running poorly or not at all. The other places I was thinking would be suceptable to leak are the EVAP systems purge valve and nipple connection to the manifold. Just looking through the FSM diagrams.

Edited by PivoArch

Yea, I saw those recalls, there are tons of post about it if you search google for Pathfinder and Gas Smell. The recall was for 1996 to 2001 though, mine is an 02. Plus the smell seems to be coming from the front and not the back, thanks for the thought though.

The return line is a possiblilty. I agree that if it was the regulator or anything like that it would be running poorly or not at all. The other places I was thinking would be suceptable to leak are the EVAP systems purge valve and nipple connection to the manifold. Just looking through the FSM diagrams.

Your welcome. just thought i chime in with what little i know, :lol:

I would check the hose clamps on your fuel lines under the hood. The wd21's are known for this problem but it may happen to r50 too. Usually tightening the clamps fixes it.

x2.

on the 3.0 there is a small rubber hose that connects to the fuel rails that is known for leaking. Usually there are hose clamps on there. Just snug em up a bit.

It's probably the same on the 3.3

If you're running rich and have the standard issue Nissan cracked manifolds it may just be exhaust smell.

My truck runs rich and you get a smell of gas from the tailpipe, especially after startup when it's still cold. When I had my manifolds replaced last summer both were split clear in half.

I'll have to take a look at the manifolds. It does seem to be a cold weather only problem. Went out and started the car cold with the hood open, couldn't smell anything coming from the pressure regulator or hoses on top of the engine bay. Will keep looking and updating.