Headlights cut out

westslope

Update: It was the lamp filaments. Both burned out at the same time. Oh well..... :) -w

==================================================

The headlights cut out last night. Both hi-beams still work just fine. All other lights and electrical systems work fine.

I checked fuses (they were fine) though functional hi-beams rule out fuses. I visually examined the headlight bulbs and they looked just fine.

After searching and reading past threads, me thinks there are two possibilities: 1) the turn signal/light switch which fits into the left hand side of the steering wheel column, or 2) the Daytime Running Light (DRL) module tucked away against the passenger side inner engine wheel tight to the battery.

I am leaning towards the turn signal/light switch. No signs of arcing. Contacts for regular headlights look good.

I naively tested the light switch outlets for continuity with a digital multi-meter. Found pairs of outlets that buzzed for the parking lights and the hi-beams and was also able to find a 'connection' for the regular lights between tabs at opposite ends of the 2 X 4 arrangement.

Question: The module near the battery, is that the "Daytime Light Control Unit" or the "Daytime Light Cancel Unit"? I'm confused by the company's 1994 technical manual (EL-24). Furthermore I see some differences with my '93 (see EL-21).

Before I hit the junk yard and start replacing parts, any suggestions as I go forward? That DLR module doesn't look like it is designed to be disassembled. Not so sure about further deconstructing the turn signal/light switch.

Edited by westslope

It's probably the switch. If it was the DRL module you'd get no lights when you start the truck and the parking brake is off.

The module near the battery is the DRL unit. No idea where the cancel unit is though.

It's probably the switch. If it was the DRL module you'd get no lights when you start the truck and the parking brake is off.

The module near the battery is the DRL unit. No idea where the cancel unit is though.

Yes, that makes sense as the DRL are turned down hi-beams. Thanks adamzan.

I changed the same turn signal/light switch a couple of years ago. At the time the highs were coming on intermitently. Cost me ~C$45 at a wreckers. Now Napa wants C$260 for it. Back then, it cost less than $200 at the stealership if memory serves. The DRL module now costs C$147 at the stealership. My impression? These parts are getting more expensive. Hey, I thought the Canadian dollar was strengthening. What happened? Or is the supply of the 1990-1995 pathfinder parts starting to dwindle?

Edited by westslope

UPDATE: Short version: It was the lamp filaments that had burned out on both the left and right head lights. I replaced them. Low-beam head lights work fine. I'm embarrassed. I learned a thing or two.

The fact that both burned out at the same time struck me as near impossible but if I had taken 5 minutes to switch in a test bulb, I would have saved myself hours of driving and screwing around.

One of the fellows at the parts and service desk of the South Surrey Nissan dealership was most informative. He mentioned the idea of checking the bulbs.

A few things I learned along the way:

+ The DRL relay (module) fails far more frequently than the turn signal/light combination switch.

+ Nissan mechanics would fix the DRL relay by soldering cracked connections.

+ The 4100K bright halogen lamps works by reflecting light and heating the filament to much higher temperatures. They tend to wear out quickly, lasting 1/4 of the duration of standard 3100K halogen lamps.

+ I replaced the damaged 4100K lamps with 3,200K lamps (made by Sylvania).

+ I now have much better understanding of why some of you run better wires and relays to the headlights.

Yes, that makes sense as the DRL are turned down hi-beams. Thanks adamzan.

I changed the same turn signal/light switch a couple of years ago. At the time the highs were coming on intermitently. Cost me ~C$45 at a wreckers. Now Napa wants C$260 for it. Back then, it cost less than $200 at the stealership if memory serves. The DRL module now costs C$147 at the stealership. My impression? These parts are getting more expensive. Hey, I thought the Canadian dollar was strengthening. What happened? Or is the supply of the 1990-1995 pathfinder parts starting to dwindle?

the light switch is like 75 bucks at north shore nissan, i bought one when i was living up there.. FYI.