sas option

ive had quite a few lifted jeep cherokees over the years with 31s 32s 33s and have had friends with 35s and the dana 30 front is a lot stronger than most think if any of yall knew me im very tuff on my 4x4s and daily driver i beat the @!*% outa my jeeps daily and i broke a few rear ends ripped trannys out blowed motors busted transfer cases but i never onces broke a front axle but i see the pros & cons everybody is saying

Yes. Before my venture into the world of the Pathfinder I was a jeep guy. Had several XJ's and I was not easy on em at all.

How heavy is an XJ? We are talking apples and oranges here..

First of all the housing will bend.. XJ guys have to truss the heck out of them.

The internals can be made to be almost as strong as a D44 with the super 30 stuff. So totally beef up a 30 to be where you would start with a 44...

The front drive shaft will always be turning. You can't unlock the hubs.. so if that front drive shaft is not perfectly aligned (with the pinion) and balanced you will hate driving it on the highway.

XJ's being uni body trucks are considerably lighter... One of my 30's had all the super 30 (way over priced) stuff in it. It was a tough axle, but the moment I locked it up, I started seriously damaging things. Twisted it, and literally bent .5 inch plate truss on the top half. I have pictures somewhere....

Then again I was running 35's and going places I probably wouldn't had I been married at the time. Hahahaha...

Just my .02

• 1 month later...

D30s are ok, gearing is ok also, I bought one sunday with 4.88s and chromoly shafts for 300 bucks. Now I just need a 4.9 rear pig.

d30 dont break, OSR, there housings bend, if there breaking shafts there housing is already bent.

You find them from 25-400 bucks, with higher end ones being sold around 400. For a pathfinder there fine, there like a toyota axle but cheaper too find.

Also, OSR, if there breaking axles or housings with tires less then 33"s then there beating the living @!*% out of there trucks.

For an aol lift there good enough.

Now if the OP is looking to run 34+ inch tires then yes a d44 will work loads better then a d30. And in that case I would say get a large knuckle ford d44 front.

then swith to chevy knuckles for strength and parts availability

need some advice, newbie here..

, i have a 1999 doule cab nissan p-up w/td27 diesel enginge , just bought this patrol MQ front differential assy for my sas conversion, planning to go on 33's.. would it be match front and rear differentials? they are both c200, can my set up run 33's on uphill with my td27 diesel engine? do i need to re-gear to run 33's? tnx, managa_16@yahoo.com

btw how can i identify if my c200 has a 4.11 or 4.3 gear ratio?

The patrol front axle is passenger drop.I believe the transfer case in your double cab is driver's side output.I might be wrong on this but you should check. I only know this because I was going to have my brother in law ship me a patrol axle from England and found it would not work.This is for austin316

Edited by Heloflyboy

You could pick up a dana 44 wagoneer axle from J.W. auto wreckers in Sacramento.They only do jeeps and are pretty reasonable.(916)723-3950 I would not bother with dana 30 you would be wasting your money.Dana 60 is to big unless you are only going to be using it on trails. Good Luck on what ever you choose.This is for mauitrailguy

Edited by Heloflyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, iam from czech republic and iam thinking about SAS on my 91 v6 pathy. there is nobody who has front axle (j. wagoneer dana 44, 1980-92)for sale in europe. But someone from germany offer me a jeep j20 dana44 front axle (1981, gearing 3.73). is it same like wagoneer? he says that the only difference is bolt pattern. thanks, Tom

Hi, iam from czech republic and iam thinking about SAS on my 91 v6 pathy. there is nobody who has front axle (j. wagoneer dana 44, 1980-92)for sale in europe. But someone from germany offer me a jeep j20 dana44 front axle (1981, gearing 3.73). is it same like wagoneer? he says that the only difference is bolt pattern. thanks, Tom

It would work but you would have to use two different kind of wheels on your rig due to separate lug patters. Which means two spares.

• 3 weeks later...

i found an auction of one wagoneer there in europe.. My link

is it good for SAS? he says that it is 1989 but dont reply to my question abour diff side

edit: it has 5 wheel bolts- maybe it isnt "right wagoneer axle" for sas?!

Edited by tsin

Besides the 8-lug pattern that's a pretty wide axle, 67" wheel mounting surface.

SJ Wagoneer and NT Cherokees come in at about 61" WMS.

i found an auction of one wagoneer there in europe.. My link

is it good for SAS? he says that it is 1989 but dont reply to my question abour diff side

edit: it has 5 wheel bolts- maybe it isnt "right wagoneer axle" for sas?!

That's an XJ Wagoneer, same as the smaller Cherokee's.

Not your best choice, yes it is a driver drop front axle but it is a 5-lug Dana30.

Edited by Tad

well i never found a waggy axle so i bought a d30 from a zy i wanna finish her up for summer!! soo what the heck its not going to be locked or rock climbing her its just going to be some nice trails jaja i hope it stands till i find d44 or something stronger still no picks damn!! need a new camera