Need help with Brake master cylinder

onefast87

k guys, my master cylinder for the brakes has failed and i need a replacement.

i called my local nissan dealership and they want over 330$.

courtesy nissan wants like 170$.

can anyone tell me what the part number is so i can look it up? or how much is this part actually worth?

i can get a no name part for 60$ on ebay or i can get a tokico part for around 160$, wich sounds about right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-TOKICO-Nissan-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Power-Break-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aPathfinderQQhashZitem563949ef6aQQitemZ370328334186QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

this new parts guy at my local nissan makes things so difficult, always get the wrong prices and run arounds.

thanks in advance

Well, $330 at a local dealership and $170 at a cheap "real" dealership sounds normal to me. Then you have much lower prices if you want to go aftermarket. I probably wouldn't buy aftermarket if I could get one from the dealer for $10 more... but this is a bit of a generalization.

courtesy nissan sent me a reply, 235$ plus 25$ to canada.

i guess i will take this route. im just surprised that this part is so expensive.

There is a wide variety of master cylinders available on RockAuto for under $100. That's probably the route I would go, but I don't much experience with master cylinders.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my own brake master cylinder years ago and I sure as heck did NOT get one from a dealership at their rip off pricing. I either got it at Rock Auto or some supplier I can't remember but it was easy to install and has been fine for over 6 years now. Bleeding it (bench bleeding) was the only tricky part....then of course the system has to be bled after installing is done.

I think I paid between $70 and $100 for the master cylinder.

Dealerships are ok on some pricing and of course if only a genuine nissan part has to be used. I've been a rock auto parts customer for years now and never had any issues. Great delivery and they always send me

updated catalogs on closeout parts for my pathfinder of which I have gotten some GREAT deals on. Just this week I ordered the last of their rear control arm bushings for only $14 each.