Should I switch to synthetic motor oil?

snow4me

Bought a 1993 pathfinder in 1999 with 55,000 km on it. At just below 100,000 km I switched to Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic oil for older vehicles. About 100,000 km later, I switched to regular 5W30.

At present, I run Extended Performance Mobil 1 5W30 and the corresponding filter for a full calendar year. The oil is rated to 20,000 km and we're putting on a very modest ~12,000 km/year. The total monetary cost is less. The time and effort costs are much less. If I was driving closer to 20,000 km/year and spending more time off-road I would likely change this oil twice a year.

The transpiration rate is higher so oil must be added a couple of times over the year.

It is interesting to watch folks slowly switch over to synthetic motor oils here in southwestern BC. Over the years, I have run into many mechanics who have strong opinions but very little knowledge. (Guys! Give up! Your "gut feeling" can't compete with the expensive brains in a company like Exxon-Mobil. Sheesh.)

The 1993 pathfinder with 240,000 km on it does not leak one drop of oil.

For new synth-oil users, flushing is not necessary but a few pundits recommend that the first synth -oil fill should be changed after a couple of weeks of driving as it will "flush" the engine.

Edited by westslope

Well, I bought a 6quart box of regular synthetic 5w30 at Costco for $32. Ran over to the auto parts store and picked up a Mobil 1 filters as well. Going to have to put my fluid changes on hold for a couple of weeks as I just sold my house and need to be out in 2 weeks. Wish me luck!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Running synthetic on high mileage vehicle was a bad idea I was told by a mechanic. It is thinner than conventional oil and will leak a lot easier and faster than conventional. Just what I was told.

I just got test results back on Mobil 1 full synthetic @ 3500 miles the other day. Results were good, they stated to run the oil to 6000 miles this time. I'm gonna test it again when that rolled around. On a side not the test result write up did end with "Nice Engine" :wiggle:

In case you've not been to this website...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

LOTS of oil discussion on synthetic vs. dino, oil change intervals, used oil analysis', filter comparisons, etc... More than you can read in one sitting. Do a search on "Nissan VQ", or similar to see some interesting discussion about what different folks use in their engines.

-sjm